Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Wired differently

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you believe that kids with ADD or ADHD think differently and are wired differently?  Tell me your expereinces.  Example:  child:  "they said a bad word!""  Parent:  "what was it?"  Child:  "no"!

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I believe their thought process could be different but your example doesnt reflect that.  DD has neither and she says NO is a bad word at age 6 lol.

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Yes. I think they can think and are wired differently.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Your example can happen with kids who don't have ADD/ADHD, too - it's more a kid thing where they don't understand fully what you mean by "bad" word. That said, kids with ADD/ADHD ARE wired differently and think differently because they typically cannot focus the way kids without ADD/ADHD do.

dogsrezrr
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM

It just seems like I have more trouble in the bonding area with this chilld than  with my other kids.  My son is also ADHD/ADD and at 21 says he doesn't  think he is as empathetic as other people in general.  He is very smart and says he takes his cues from the reactions of the people around him.  They both don't feel as close to other family members as they think they should be.  Just wondering if that is acommon trait among people/ kids with this condition.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

They are 'wired' differently, but it is up to us to figure out what their needs are and how they express themselves.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yes I have 2 little girls with special needs.

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dogsrezrr:

It just seems like I have more trouble in the bonding area with this chilld than  with my other kids.  My son is also ADHD/ADD and at 21 says he doesn't  think he is as empathetic as other people in general.  He is very smart and says he takes his cues from the reactions of the people around him.  They both don't feel as close to other family members as they think they should be.  Just wondering if that is acommon trait among people/ kids with this condition.

NO, it is not a trait of ADDers.  What it IS a trait of tho, is kids on the Autistic spectrum, most notably, Asperger's Syndrome, and NVLD.  It is also not unusual that ADDers have Co-morbid disorders, and that those disorders were overlooked while their parents placed all the blame on AD/HD.  READ and educate yourself, so you can better help your second child.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002516/

http://www.nldontheweb.org/nldadvancedreading/understandingnvld.html

dogsrezrr
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Does the autism run in the family?  My granddaughter was having all kinds of problems in school and in addition to ODD they are talking about autism.  she rejected her mother from birth on and it was very odd at the time.  She is very smart and high functioning but misses social cues big time.  I have a friend who's boy is autistic and isn't potty trained still in high school now.  What a range of abilities between autistic kids.  I had no idea.

AleaKat
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Maybe but I think it's important not to let it become a crutch. You can't make every bad thing be blamed on the issue at hand. They should grow up at leafy striving to try to be better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dogsrezrr
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

There are so many labels out there!  How do we ever know how to what is right for our kids.  It's hard when we think that others might judge.  I wish parents in general could be more supportive of each other and less judgmental.  Parenting is such a hard and important job.  We really could use  the support of others the whole way through.  Find someone today and tell them what a good job they are doing with their kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)