Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

For those that are married. Question about length and description... Poll

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Marriage status vs relationship status, what do you say?

Options:

How many years we've been married

How many years altogether

Something else, like there was a separation there

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 157

View Results

Okay. DH and I have been together 7 years.

We've been married for 5.

When you talk about how long you've been with your partner to someone else, how do you say it? For us would you say "married 5 years" add the fact that it's been 7? Just say "married 7?"

The fact that we have a 6yo factors into this as I saw someone recently I hadn't seen in many years. They knew both DH and I separately then.

I said we had been married 5 years- then later wondered if I should have just said 7, so my kid didn't look like someone elses lol. Make sense? 

What do you say? 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (101-108):
MoeksieNature
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:03 AM
@ OP: My step mom is 20 years older than me and 17 years older than my brother. She doesn't have kids of her own and refers to us as her children. So at her school reunion when she was asked how many kids, she said 2. The question: How old? Obviously raised a couple of eyebrows... She obviously wasn't pregnant in school. Lol! She just left them at that. It has nothing to do with them in anyway... JMO ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
khrystina_marie
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I just say that we have been together 5 1/2 yr married 2 1/2 yr
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
grownsexy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM

We have been together thirty years, I add it all in since he does.

mamoore83
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I see what you are saying, but I guess it depends on how they ask. If they ask how long you are married or when then I'll tell them that if they day how long have you been together then I'll tell them that and we got married X years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookdragon
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

My DH & I have been married for 22 years. When asked that's what I say.

Kitschy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

If someone specifically asks how long we have been married, I say 5 years. We've lived together for 10 years though and view marriage as a piece of paper. We only married because we wanted to have children and agreed it would be better for them to be married first. So I say we've been together 10 years in general conversation.

raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I'm not married yet, but I'd say that you were married 5 years because that's how long you've been married. I don't really think it's necessary to throw the additional 2 years prior in there.

Donya90
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM

My husband and I have been married going on 23 YEARS! He is my lover, best friend, the person I first want to see in the morning, the last at night. Like all lovers, we ran hot for each other a long time! Now that has melted into something nicer, sweeter. Were not doing it all night long...but you know when the fire is really spiked up, thats neat. However, as you tend to a fire and you get that long burn at the bottom, the stuff that is the hottest and there to stay...that is what its like being married this long. Once in awhile, we throw a long or two on there and get it kinda raging. For the most part, I like that slow burn kinda fire!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN