Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those that are married. Question about length and description... Poll

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Marriage status vs relationship status, what do you say?

Options:

How many years we've been married

How many years altogether

Something else, like there was a separation there

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 157

View Results

Okay. DH and I have been together 7 years.

We've been married for 5.

When you talk about how long you've been with your partner to someone else, how do you say it? For us would you say "married 5 years" add the fact that it's been 7? Just say "married 7?"

The fact that we have a 6yo factors into this as I saw someone recently I hadn't seen in many years. They knew both DH and I separately then.

I said we had been married 5 years- then later wondered if I should have just said 7, so my kid didn't look like someone elses lol. Make sense? 

What do you say? 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
christineT79
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I usually just say together for 7 years & married for 2.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I say the number of years we've been married

malexander2009
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM
We usually say that we've been married for 4.5 years and together for 9 years... It's kinda funny since February we do hit 9 years and I just pointed that out to DH and he was wow really... I had to remind him that he's been up here for 10 years...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I usually say been married 10 but together 13 lol

boshs1andonly
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM
That's kind of how I feel about it too. Dh and I were high school sweethearts, together for almost 5 years before we got married, so I think it's worth mentioning lol (11 years in jan). Usually I'll say we've been together this long, married 6 years.

Quoting BrookeLisette:

My husband and I have been married for 8 years, but we've been together for 15 years without any separations.  We are high school sweethearts and waited until we were older to get married.

SO, to answer your question if we're having a coversation I will mention both ... because 15 years is a long time and I think it's worth mentioning!  LOL.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I say we are married 10 years and together for 20.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Things are different nowadays.  So many people have kids and don't get married, so people don't even hesitate any more.

Hubby and I dated 8mos, 1mos engagement, and been married for almost 9yrs now.  However, we waited 4.5yrs to have our first kid.

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

If someone asks you how long you have been MARRIED, that is the answer they expect.  If someone asks me how long *I* have been married, I say 35 years.  They are not asking, nor do they care, that BEFORE I married him, I dated him for 5 years, 4 of which we were engaged, and 1 of which we lived together.  That is pointless information.  Seems the people who include the "dating" time, are embarrassed about kids prior to marriage.  If it DIDN'T bother you, why would  throw that "extra" time in, since you weren't asked that?

PinkParadox
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Married 8 together 12
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I usually say we've been together 10 years, married 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured