Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

For those that are married. Question about length and description... Poll

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Marriage status vs relationship status, what do you say?

Options:

How many years we've been married

How many years altogether

Something else, like there was a separation there

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 157

View Results

Okay. DH and I have been together 7 years.

We've been married for 5.

When you talk about how long you've been with your partner to someone else, how do you say it? For us would you say "married 5 years" add the fact that it's been 7? Just say "married 7?"

The fact that we have a 6yo factors into this as I saw someone recently I hadn't seen in many years. They knew both DH and I separately then.

I said we had been married 5 years- then later wondered if I should have just said 7, so my kid didn't look like someone elses lol. Make sense? 

What do you say? 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM

You could say. "My husband and I have been together for 7 years."  This would clear up any age wondering. :) 

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

It is really nobody's business at what point in your relationship you had a child, unless you want to share the information.  Since these aren't close friends, then a general answer would work. :)

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I guess- and no one is traditional anymore but we had a child right away. So I wanna add that in.

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

I think most people realize that you dated before you were married. 

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I can't even imagine someone asking how long you have been together. If you introduce someone as your husband, then they could ask, maybe, how long you've been married, but then a reply of the age of your older daughter (seven years in this case) should be adequate. 

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I always say that we've been together for over 9 years but only married for alittle over 5 :D. We tied the knot at 20&22... we started dating at 16&18.

ds will be 7 on the 25th. He was 18months when we got married and then we had our 2nd and final child, also a boy, after we've had been married for alittle under 3 years ... he is currently 2 1/2 years old.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Well we got married 6 months after meeting so it's pretty much the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I always say the number of years married.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I say how long we have been together
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM
GAWD caps for EMPHASIS can be really ANNOYING.

First, yes, if it's a patient at work or something, they ask how long I've been married I stick with that.

But people who knew us before, it might be- 'how long have you two been together? So I like have the whole time there, not just married years. It's not 'EXTRA' time for me- it was real time that we really were together and working as a family.

And I'm not embarrased of anything sheesh. I just like one encompassing answer.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

If someone asks you how long you have been MARRIED, that is the answer they expect.  If someone asks me how long *I* have been married, I say 35 years.  They are not asking, nor do they care, that BEFORE I married him, I dated him for 5 years, 4 of which we were engaged, and 1 of which we lived together.  That is pointless information.  Seems the people who include the "dating" time, are embarrassed about kids prior to marriage.  If it DIDN'T bother you, why would  throw that "extra" time in, since you weren't asked that?

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I like that a lot. :)

Quoting Bmat:

You could say. "My husband and I have been together for 7 years."  This would clear up any age wondering. :) 

agrisham13mom
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I say we've been married 9 years and together 12 years..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)