Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

For those that are married. Question about length and description... Poll

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Marriage status vs relationship status, what do you say?

Options:

How many years we've been married

How many years altogether

Something else, like there was a separation there

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 157

View Results

Okay. DH and I have been together 7 years.

We've been married for 5.

When you talk about how long you've been with your partner to someone else, how do you say it? For us would you say "married 5 years" add the fact that it's been 7? Just say "married 7?"

The fact that we have a 6yo factors into this as I saw someone recently I hadn't seen in many years. They knew both DH and I separately then.

I said we had been married 5 years- then later wondered if I should have just said 7, so my kid didn't look like someone elses lol. Make sense? 

What do you say? 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (81-90):
shoot4thestars
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Usually how long we've been married for. 

StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Depends on how the question was asked. If they asked how long we've been together, then yes, I'll say how long we've been together. But I will also add how long we've been married. Like we've been together for 6 years, married for almost 5.

Aishamusty
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

BUMP!

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I think it depends on if someone asks "How long have you two been together" or "How long have you two been married". I have been married to my husband for almost 6 years (March). We were only together for 2 weeks before we moved in together. My ex and I were together only 3 months before we married. That lasted 22 years. (I'd have gotten out sooner if I'd have killed him and it would have been easier on me. LOL)

almostthere55
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

We've been together for 32 yrs., married for 26 and my oldest son is 22.   We met in middle school so it's a bit wierd to me to say anything other than married for 26 yrs.  I think when ppl ask, they want to know how long you've been married.

PlaysAllDay
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I was with my DH 8 years before we got married, we've been married 8 years. When people ask I say 16 years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shorty13417
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM

when ppl ask, i say 'we've been together for 22 yrs and married for 19 yrs and we have a 16 yr old' well atleast till June  LOL

mylilgooberpea
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I would say married x together y. But only if they asked or the conversation went the how long together direction. When I was married we were together 9 married 7. Until he cheated on me with my married friend. So now I say divorced 8 months separated 2 years. Lol
icn_mom
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM

When people ask how long weve been together I simply say almost seven years! unless they specifically ask how long weve been married i dont see any reason to specify! :)

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I generally just say how long we've been married - which is 18 years. We were engaged at 4 months, so most of that first year was planning our wedding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)