Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

deal with teething!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
My son has been teething for 3 months. Its been nothing but chewing, drooling, fussiness and the last 2 weeks its been hell getting him down for a nap. He wants to take his pacifier and put the whole thing in his mouth, not take his bottle instead chew on the nipple, he gets up randomly to fuss and chew... its a nightmare. He is 6 months old.

Now my daughter, she just chewed and drooled but nnever fussed. I never knew a new tooth came through...

I have gave him cold things but it only last temporary before he wants something new in his mouth. I bought one of those raspberry chew binkies and he hates it.

What else do you have for me?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM
You could try ground clove it numbs for hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

tylenol for pain and teething tablets (homeopathic)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

We used gentle naturals teething drops and little remedies teething gel for the most intense days.   My bf even used the teething drops for his sore teeth and it worked for him.  We had a hand shaped teether and could be frozen for when she had to mouth something.   You can also slightly freeze a damp (clean of course) wash cloth for him to chew on.

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM

i use the natural orajel and Tylenol. 

http://assets.babycenter.com/ims/Content/first-year-health-guide_acetaminophen_chart_pdf.pdf

christineT79
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM

A baltic amber teething necklace (you can find them on-line, not in stores), Hylands teething tablets, Orajel, Tylenol or Advil. That's all I can think of for now.

LoreleiSieja
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

This will pass... those teeth have to come through eventually.  And not all kids teeth equally.  Maybe your daughter had only one tooth come through at a time.  Maybe she has a higher tollerance for pain.  He could have a group come up at once - four or more teeth - and his gums might hurt everywhere.

My kids loved teething biscuits.  You have to watch, because he can get a chunk off that might pose a choking hazard, so then you toss that little piece away.  Sometimes you can freeze the teething biscuit, and it works even better.

THis may sound terrible, but I used to rub a little whiskey on my baby's gums... I figured it was safer than oragel.  Most teething lotions say "harmful if swallowed" and we're supposed to put it on their gums!  What do they think the baby's going to do with it!  Sometimes I would dip a pacifier in whisky or brandy, and let my baby suck.  It helped, and they really don't get enough booze to worry -but I know some mom out there is going to horrified I admitted that.  Luckily, my kids are all college age and older, so no one can take them away from me now <G>.

Time is the best thing... you can try soothing music, rocking him, tylenol, all to help him nap... but as soon as those teeth come in, he'll need his naps again.  Think about how you feel when you're in pain... a nap is the best thing, but it's awfully hard to sleep when you hurt.

Take care, and give him extra hugs from all of us.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Tylenol for pain. Cold things to chew on

missg8
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM

what about a bagel...they like the taste, even cold too.

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

We use ibuprofen when our LOs get fussy with teeth (3-13 yo).  Also, we rub gums on the really little ones.  My youngest doesn't seem to care about chewing on anything I give him: wet, cold, or frozen washcloth; he just chews on his fingers or his shirt.  We use dish soap for that (at home).

LindaClement
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM

My mom swore by a cup of spoons in the fridge, with some water so they're colder, hand a new one every time the old one warms up (and pop it back into the water after rinsing it...)

My kids both liked cold wet face cloths. Some kids like those gel teething rings that go in the freezer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)