Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: birthday party for a 1 year old? no - no point as she wont remember yes - of course you should

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

making a point to someone

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
ColieO
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
That money would be better spent on, i dunno... Education funds?

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

a typical wedding where i live is usually about $300k+ 

plate per person for a Saturday Night wedding is usually about $225pp 

so its not being made of money its being where you live.

i am considered lower middle income where i live.

Quoting atlmom2:

Are you made of money? How much you gonna spend on a wedding? $500,000??????

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

we didnt have a big christening (under 50 ppl) so for both kids first birthdays 100+ people, catered, entertainment, we went all out.

i think DS we spent close to $10K for his 1st birthday and for DD we spent about $6K and the only reason it was cheaper because of the place we catered from

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

uhmm, and who is to say that there isnt any, uhm, i dunno education funds?  really.. just because people spend an average amount (which to CM seems like an absurd amount) means they have no college fund?  i grew up middle class for where i lived and my college was paid in cash, my sweet 16, cost more than 90% of CM peoples weddings, but again my family was middle class, we were working people.

i am finding it very funny that you are trying to dictate where one should spend their money

Quoting ColieO:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

we didnt have a big christening (under 50 ppl) so for both kids first birthdays 100+ people, catered, entertainment, we went all out.

i think DS we spent close to $10K for his 1st birthday and for DD we spent about $6K and the only reason it was cheaper because of the place we catered from

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM

no one said it was expected, it is just what we do... most friends have a huge christening (just a notch down from a typical LI wedding) and then a smallish first birthday...

so i did what was NOT expected... 

and if you dont have the money yes, it is insane.. i have had ONLY 1 friend who took a loan out for her wedding, and she had a very small (under $150K wedding).. everyone else i know paid cash.

again.. its not expected it is just what we know... and its what we do

Quoting larschick:

Are you serious?? Just because that's what's "expected" doesn't mean u should actually do that. That kid of money for a 1 year old birthday is insane!

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I say no.  Family gathering of maybe 10 or so people yes.  Anything more then that is for the parents, not for the baby.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

A small one with close family, just some people over for small talk and dinner with a few balloons thrown around and a cake, yes. But I don't see the point in giant parties for babies, I would rather save it for when they are older and can actually join in on the party.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Immediate family and super close friends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I agree. We can afford to spend $10,000 on a b'day. Would we, hell no. Could we spend $300,000 on a wedding and not be in debt? Yep. Would we? HELL NO. The value of a dollar is a value of a dollar.

Quoting ColieO:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I did a small party with just family for my kids.

larschick
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My ds's 1st bday was a small gathering just close family that live really close & 1 cousin & his ds drove in. Might have had a few more if it didn't snow 3 foot that night. But not more than 20 (including adults).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this

my daughters first bday was at home..there was 9 of us..including myself and my daughter...we had a bbq..and that was about it.  i dont see the point in going all out for a first bday...then again, i'm not made of money either..LOL..so i like to save when i can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured