Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: birthday party for a 1 year old? no - no point as she wont remember yes - of course you should

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

making a point to someone

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
meliscool72
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this

It is more for the parents so they can remember their first birthday and brag to their children when they grow up. Even though the child won't remember it, it will always be a cherished day for the parents and having pictures and all that with all the friends and family and the cute adorable picture with all the cake all over the face and what not is something to be cherished (not to sound morbid, but you never know when a child's life will end and I think celebrating a birthday each year is awesome, it is celebrating a life)

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, family only, so she is not overwhelmed and after her scheduled naptime to try and avoid meltdowns. I say no longer that two and a half hrs. At the most. No, they don't remember, but everyone else will, especially if you get a smash cake! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsDenuninani
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Make it small, maybe 5 people, mark the occasion with cake and a hat or balloon, take pictures, then be done with it.

Bettypolicek9
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Holy Hannah where is that and I want a job!  No joke!

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I think for a first birthday just a small family gathering, enough cake for them and a piece to destroy for baby :) My baby is turning one in May! However, as they get older I see spending more. Until this year my oldest didn't have a lot for her birthday, but last year was her 4th and Easter  fell on it so she got cake, an Easter egg hunt, presents and candy, we celebrated both events together, but still didn't spend a bunch. This year is her 5th birthday and I already spent at least a couple hundred because I want to make her a 2 tier castle cake, with princesses and ponies. She's getting a bike finally and combining present costs plus ingredients for the cake, etc it's probably over $200, but I don't consider that much. We'll be having it at a park and I made up a couple games that are no cost.

As far as spending thousands on a birthday...well I guess if you can afford to then go ahead, heck if you can't afford to then that's your own business. I don't see a reason to spend that much even if I had the money unless that amount is including presents and everything else involved, but then I still couldn't see spending more than a $1000 or so on any birthday...I certainly have never spent much on my own and I don't understand why you'd need to have someone cater, but then I also don't have even 100 people I'd invite...for a first birthday I certainly think it's pointless to spend much but that is just me.

MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM
You're nuts.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

we didnt have a big christening (under 50 ppl) so for both kids first birthdays 100+ people, catered, entertainment, we went all out.

i think DS we spent close to $10K for his 1st birthday and for DD we spent about $6K and the only reason it was cheaper because of the place we catered from

Cdaly12491
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't have to be huge, but you should do SOMETHING :) She might not remember it, but YOU will!! 

DragonMother10
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Going to give my son when he turns 1. My husband doesn't think it's a big deal because he is too young to remember. To me it's a big deal because he is turning 1 and you only turn 1 once.
kirbyland10
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM

ok we had his first birthday (17th feb) - we had just family but they came different times and thats not what i wanted but never mind... it was good - thanks anyway

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I would do a small party with family and friends. Be sure to have 2 cakes-one to eat and one for baby to destroy! LOL Make sure to take pics so you have good memories and can embarass them with later!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured