Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need help with a clingy child

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM
  • 25 Replies

Im a sahm, but i also baby sit my friends kids. One of the little girls i watch is super clingy. Like i cant even pretend to walk out of the room without her starting to scream and cry. It isnt just a whinny cry it is a full blown screaming at the top of her lungs, crying, snot running, coughing, the work! She is 10 months old. She only does this with me and her dad, she doesnt do it to her mom(she just whines at her) I cant seem to get anything done in the house. i have tried to let her cry it out and see if she stops but she will cry the whole time im not holding her. I end up putting her in my ergo so i can clean the house and make lunch and stuff for the other kids, but that kills my back! I have asked her parents what they do at home and they say they just let her cry. But at home both parents have help, so one can tend to baby and one can do whatever else. I dont have that help here because my df works. It has been almost 2 months now and idk how much more i can take. Any ideas ladies?

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this

many kids that age go through this. I would bring her near you then set her down with a few toys. She needs to learn to be ok not being held.

rmgriffberg
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM

BUMP!

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM

i have done this. i have tried in the play pin, in the walker, in the exersaucer, on the floor etc and she just crys and crys and crys.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

many kids that age go through this. I would bring her near you then set her down with a few toys. She needs to learn to be ok not being held.

doulala
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM

The carrier is good, but maybe a different style?
I have never heard of anyone having problems from that brand--    are you carrying weight with your hips instead?

What about bringing her with you, room to room?

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM

This is very typical for this age  to let them cry endlessly is mean imo but crying for a few moments wont hurt.  Has she started trying to crawl yet?  Perhaps put her on her tummy in the room you are working in and encourage her to crawl towards you.

Bleacheddecay
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

This is normal. Be patient and it will pass.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Does she have a walker? Perhaps if she is following you in her walker she would cry less?

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

my guess is mommy has let her cry on her own more than daddy and you have. it is definately normal. before you leave a room are you holding her? though i believe babies need physical contact, holding her 24/7 doesnt do anygood.

i would just stick with the moving her from room to room, but not carrying her while doing your tasks. as long as she doesnt need a diaper change, isnt hurt, and isnt hungry, shes fine. and then, when you are done with the task, pick her up and hold her for a while. talk to her while you are doing the task, telling her its ok and as soon as your done youll pick her up. and when you pick her up tell her its ok, and you told her you would pick her up when you were done. 

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:01 AM

she is walking. even if i take her in the room that i am in she will scream and cry untill i pick her up.

Quoting frndlyfn:

This is very typical for this age  to let them cry endlessly is mean imo but crying for a few moments wont hurt.  Has she started trying to crawl yet?  Perhaps put her on her tummy in the room you are working in and encourage her to crawl towards you.

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:05 AM

if im sittin on the couch and she is in the living room with her toys she is ok, has to be right next to me but doesnt cry. if we are in another room, nothing helps her stop crying unless it is me picking her up. she comes with me, i put her in the walker and she is right at my heals screaming. i talk to her and tell her she has to wait till im done and all that.

Quoting jesuschild06:

my guess is mommy has let her cry on her own more than daddy and you have. it is definately normal. before you leave a room are you holding her? though i believe babies need physical contact, holding her 24/7 doesnt do anygood.

i would just stick with the moving her from room to room, but not carrying her while doing your tasks. as long as she doesnt need a diaper change, isnt hurt, and isnt hungry, shes fine. and then, when you are done with the task, pick her up and hold her for a while. talk to her while you are doing the task, telling her its ok and as soon as your done youll pick her up. and when you pick her up tell her its ok, and you told her you would pick her up when you were done. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN