Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I make my 7 year old sleep in her own bed?? help plz

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello, I need some advice on hoe to get my daughter to sleep on her own bed. She is 7 going on 8 and she is always telling that shes scared or have nightmares when she goes in to her room and sleeps. I've tried night light all of those things but it does not seem to work, I also go in to bed with her until she falls asleep or else she won't and will wait until we go to sleep . What else can I try or do please help.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2threebbz
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

She is manipulating you. She knows you will either give in and let her sleep where she wants or you will sleep with her. Be firm. have consequences for her not staying in her room and bed. She is long since old enough to sleep in her own bed by herself. 

krystalita05
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Thank you I just thought that she was scared that we might leave her. I had to let her go with her dad to Mexico for a year Because of immigration purposes and that is what makes me think is the reason she is scared. But its almost been 3 yrs.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

start telling her if she expects to do big girl things, then she can also sleep in her room like a big girl too....no more big girl priveledges until she starts attempting to at least make a try at it for at least a couple weeks.   NO video games, no pc, or whatever you have to use to get your point across. Or talk to the school psychologist about it and get her opinion. 

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I was having a very similar problem with my 4 year old.  Our solution was kinda unexpected.  In November we got a new puppy, and she was constangly going into my DD's room and taking her toys.  So we put up a babygate, and not only did it resolve our little toy thief problem, our DD has been staying in her bed.  She knows she is not trapped because she knows how to take down the gate, but she is happy that her puppy is not chewing on her toys.

CafeMom Tickers
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Tell her that she's a big girl and that she has to sleep in her own room and in her own bed on her own. You will read to her and turn out the light and leave the room and she will sleep solo. If she says something about nightmares again, tell her that nightmares are not real and nothing she dreams about can hurt her - she's old enough to understand that for sure. Then kiss her and hug her and leave the room. Be firm and consistent and she will realize she cannot manipulate you anymore.

mom2threebbz
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Quoting krystalita05:

Thank you I just thought that she was scared that we might leave her. I had to let her go with her dad to Mexico for a year Because of immigration purposes and that is what makes me think is the reason she is scared. But its almost been 3 yrs.

if she is scared she is certainly old enough to communicate that to you. If she is having nightmares she should be able to tell you what they are about. Just reassure her that you will be there when she wakes up and that it is time for her to be a big girl and sleep by herself. I hope it all works out

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Put her in her bed, say good night, and shut the door.  She might scream, but she will NOT die. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured