Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 2yr old just started swearing....what should i do?IGNORE it or scold him everytime he says something?!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 14 Replies

my 2yr old just started swearing and he'll look at his sister and me to see if we react....I've started ignoring him but my daughter who's4 laughs at him....idk what to do...ignore him or tell him NO thats BAD DONT SAY that word?!

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swthrt737
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM
What future will our kids have if we ignore our duties?
Tell him that it's bad!
Don't ignore or tolerate bse he'll do that in public and all eyes will be on saying she teaches him vulgar language. Please teach him whats best and whats not worth uttering.
January1964
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

For us, it was easy, bc she's an only child. At 2, she'd repeat my husband's cursing. We'd ignore it and it would stop. He's since stopped cursing (well, unless he's driving!). Could you tell your dd to ignore him when he says those words? Could she do that?

GremlinMom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Definitely stop it. For a two year old... "We don't say that word," then rephrase. So tell him you don't say the word then say chimichanga! In private tell your 4 yr we don't say the naughty words soandso keeps saying. Please don't laugh, mommy will take care of it. Then give her a stern raised eyebrow when she laughs and continue to redirect the two yr old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NewMom333
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have to say ignore if you can get your 4 year old to go along with it. I wish I had ignored some of my 4 year olds behavior when he was younger. He still does some of the things I tried punishing him for when he was little :/ but you have to Try to stop the cursing around him though :)
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I would not make it a big deal or get worked up at all, because he will do just to get a rise out of you then, just say, "we don't use that word."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee2Bee
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I REALLY try not to swear around him..honestly I rarely do. His uncle was visiting recently and I think that's where he learned the words....and i already know if I say something to his uncle he'll just laugh at me...

TigressLily
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I'd be getting on to the person he picked it up from in front of your son so that he knows it's bad. DH cusses, I don't... I don't want Abby to pick up on it and am trying hard to get him to watch what he says around her but if she starts saying it, it will be explained to her that it's a bad word and she shouldn't be saying it etc., but DH will get the blame.

TigressLily
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him laugh, but if he doesn't want to respect you then I'd put my foot down and tell him he can either respect you and your children and not say those words around them or he can stop visiting. Make him know you're serious, don't joke it off.

Quoting MamaDee2Bee:

I REALLY try not to swear around him..honestly I rarely do. His uncle was visiting recently and I think that's where he learned the words....and i already know if I say something to his uncle he'll just laugh at me...

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Ignoring won't work if he's getting a reaction out of your daughter. I would tell him not to say those weird and after a few days I would start to do time out for it. I would also tell your daughter that it's not funny.
chrisnmandysmom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

If you give a huge reaction he'll think it's really cool. It's hard not to but the best thing to do is to calmly tell him those words hurt your feelings (it helps to look sad) and please not to do that again. He's only copying what he heard someone else say and he's trying to be "grown up". He doesn't know what it means or that there is such a thing as "good" or "bad" words. You should also talk to your daughter and remind her that those aren't acceptable words and she needs to be a good big sister and example to him by not using them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)