Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Postpardum depression

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 8 Replies

I went through postpadrum depression with my son. I've been thinking of having another baby. But am scared that the same thing will happen. I still take my antidepressents and am taking a anti anxiety med for I suffer a great deal of anxiety every day. I guess I'm looking for some advice. My son will be four and am feeling sad that he's growing up so fast. Any advice would be great.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Do what you think is best for you.   Now that you have experienced it, you can better combat it if you get it again. A great support system is key to overcoming PPD especially .

kbeeck
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I guess I'm just nervous about it. There are so many changes that bring a new baby into our world would make. I'm worried to go through that again. I don't really have the best support group.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I agree with this. You may or may not have PPD with your 2nd child, so it's not something to worry about at this point. However, if you get pregnant again and do experience PPD again, you'll know better what to do about it. :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Do what you think is best for you.   Now that you have experienced it, you can better combat it if you get it again. A great support system is key to overcoming PPD especially .

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I don't think that you should have another baby if you're doing it because your son is growing up fast.  I've tried four times, they all grow up fast. lol  I told dh after the third one that if we couldn't make one that didn't grow up, we weren't making anymore.  We didn't plan any of the pregnancies, so #4 was a surprise just like the first three.  But they all grow up.  It's better to just enjoy each stage and phase; remembering the firsts and new stages, and making funny memories about the not-so-fun phases/stages.

Anyway, I know that PPD is something that usually gets worse with subsequent pregnancies.  I'm not trying to talk you out of having another baby, but I would have wanted to know that if I had planned any of my pregnancies.  I had PPD with each one and it was worse each time.

My goal (as I said, I'm not trying to talk you out of it) is to give you my opinion on what would be more ??? appropriate? (in my opinion) things on which to base your decision to have another baby.  I agree with having them pretty close together, but not too close; that is to say that I would want each of them to have a good turn at being "the baby" before having another one, but I wouldn't want to start all over again each time.  Wanting to have another baby, I think, should revolve around the baby you're going to have, not around missing soft blankets or breastfeeding with previous babies.

Please let me know if I need to be clearer about any of this.  These are my opinions; I know that I'm peculiar and I don't expect everyone to agree with me.  I'm also not trying to force my choices on anyone else, nor am I belittling what anyone else bases their decision on.  Just LMK if I need to be more clear.

(((hugs)))  I wish they grew up a little slower in some ways too. :)

yperez0209
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I had it with my first, now looking back, I can recognize that I had it. At the time I suffered alone and thought it was just me getting accustomed to staying home with a new baby. I was miserable. However I've had four more since and not had any PPD. I realized that having a baby doesn't mean that I'm home bound and I make sure to go back to my activities, like going to the gym, as soon as I am able to physically. Good Luck

kbeeck
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I almost feel like somethings missing in our family. Like you do when you first get married and your talking of having a baby. You get that feeling that somethings missing. I'm getting that. I would love to have a little girl and now that I'm thirty, I feel my time is running out. Almost like I'm on the edge of if you want to have another baby your time is ticking. My son will be four in march. I asked him yesterday if he wanted a baby sister or brother and he told me no. I was actually surprised by his answer. Well if you girls know what I'm talking about respond if not I understand because at this point I really don't understand it either.

AudrasMommy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Agreed. I've had it with my first two. Not too sure if the first time really counts because my daughter died before birth. I just know I was in a total daze and the drs thought it best that I be on meds, which it was. With my second, I didn't know until she was 6 months old. But looking back on that time, I can DEFINITELY recognize the flags now. I had a little boy two years ago and it was smooth sailing...no PPD. Every pregnancy is different. I do, however, worry about some form of depression with this new baby that will be here within a week or two. I suffer from anxiety and depression and this pregnancy has not been fun. I was having attacks in my sleep for months. But like I said, I know what to look for now and so does my husband (he's the one that recognized my first time).

Quoting yperez0209:

I had it with my first, now looking back, I can recognize that I had it. At the time I suffered alone and thought it was just me getting accustomed to staying home with a new baby. I was miserable. However I've had four more since and not had any PPD. I realized that having a baby doesn't mean that I'm home bound and I make sure to go back to my activities, like going to the gym, as soon as I am able to physically. Good Luck

kbeeck
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM

So sorry to hear about your little girl. I went through two miscarriages an eptopic preganancy before we got our son. Why we would have to go through that as human beings is beyound me. You would think with all the advance science we would know by now how to prevent having to go through the things we do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN