Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Potty training was going great until I screwed it up. **long...TL/DR version at bottom**

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have a 2.5 year old DD. A month or so ago, she wakes up that morning with a dry diaper. I figure I'd see if she'd go in the potty (she always refused before) so I let her loose with no diaper. She does! I am thrilled and so is she. I keep her diaper off and she goes the whole day in her potty with only one accident. She even goes and poops in it with no guiding on my part. She gets her reward every time (Reeses pieces out of a mini gumball machine) and only wears a diaper during naptime and when I put her down for the night.

The next day I am worried because I have to take her to a meeting at work with me and I've always read that during the first few days, to keep them at home. Everyone tells me that, no matter what, do NOT put a diaper on her while she is awake or she could backslide. I take her to the meeting diaperless with her potty, the gumball machine, and extra changes of clothes in tow. She does great during the meeting but by the time it is over, I know she has to go. She ate lunch during the meeting and I'm not sure if she would last the bumpy drive back home to wait. I take her in the bathroom with her potty.

Here is where I think I screwed up. I made her sit on her potty. Like...physically sat her on it while she was fighting me. As soon as I sat her down and let go, she popped back up and yelled, "NOOOOO!" I risked the drive back home and got her home with no accidents. I sat the potty out and took her clothes off, expecting a pee soon. She peed...all over the floor. I did the same I did with the other accident. Just calmly told her that accidents happen but she should go to the potty if she feels like she has to pee. The next 2 days she goes diaper-less but never once sits on the potty again. Everything that comes out comes out on the floor. I even wouldn't put a diaper on her during a nap, thinking that if she peed the bed and felt how uncomfortable it was, she would get the picture. She held her pee through the nap then stood up and immediately peed on the floor.

This last month she acts like the potty is going to eat her soul, even though we haven't even tried to start training again yet. If we don't put a diaper on her (mainly after a bath...we let her go without a diaper about 15 minutes so her hair can air dry a bit before we blowdry it) she finds a diaper or just runs to us whimpering, "Diaper? Diaper?"

I've been trying to wait to see if she starts sitting on it on her own, but nothing is changing. I wanted to start trying again but I don't want to do anymore damage. How should I proceed? I was thinking of getting her a different potty that is more suited to her interests (AKA Disney Princesses) to see if that brings back any excitement about it but other than that I don't know how to get her to sit on it. And reiteration of not forcing her is not necessary. Believe me, I WILL NOT do that again :/

TL/DR: I screwed up an almost perfect potty training experience by making 2.5 yo DD sit on the potty when she didn't want to. She hasn't used the potty since and I'm trying to get suggestions on how to start again.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

BUMP!

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I would try getting her a new potty maybe even let her pick it out. If its been a month without her sitting on the potty again I would just put the diaoers back on and wait a few months and try again, if buying a new potty doesn't work. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I read the TL/DR version.

She's young.  Just give her time and make it a stress free thing for her.  You use it and let her see you using it.  Don't force her into other thing "unnecessarily".  Just let her forget what happened.  She's not likely to go to kindergarten in diapers (and if she does, it won't take long for her to be laughed into being completely potty trained).

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I have potty trained two each boys and girls.  I would put her back in diapers, and wait until she's ready to try again.  (Getting a different potty might be a good idea; they're not TOO expensive, and getting rid of the old one might help.  It seems like seeing it brings back the memory of the day of the meeting, based on what you said.)

PS: I've read the whole thing now.  I didn't know if my toddler was going to "let" me and it seemed like you wanted answers quickly. :)

((hugs))  She's still young, you haven't damaged her beyond potty training.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN