Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Potty training advise anyone?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

Okay, here's the deal. My daughter will be two at the end of this month.

She is showing all of the signs that she is ready for training. She always takes her diaper off, goes into her brother's room and takes off her diaper and puts on their unders. She always tells us when she poops and is starting to refuse to wear a diaper.

So this last weekend just her and I went to walmart and I let her pick out her own underwear. We also got potty treats. She was so proud! She picked the dora ones and refused to let me give them to the cashier to ring up. I finally got them pryed from her little hands lol. She carried them to the van with the biggest most proud "I'm a big girl" smile on her face!

We got home and she showed daddy with the same proud smile and immediately changed into them. After she put them on I took her to the potty. Which is the regular toilet until tomorrow. We didn't have one because we didn't expect her to be ready yet. She peed!!!!! I was so proud.....untill right when she was done she went to the living room and peed on the floor as well. Of course she wasn't in trouble. I explained to her that if she was going to be a big girl she needed to tell mommy when she needed to go potty. I'm not even sure she really understands yet though.

That day she peed 3 times on the potty and three times on the floor. She did not poo at all that day though, which is weird for her. Anyway has anyone else trained this young? Does it sound like she's ready to you guys? We have potty trained three and almost five year olds too but they were so easy. Literally a month before their third birthdays they wanted to be big boys so we got them potty's and unders and that was that! They basically trained themselves both during the day and at night. They have had a handful of accidents since. I was so lucky with them. So I basically have never had to potty train before.  Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated :)

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
outwoldinwnew11
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

bump :)

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

We are potty training our 2 1/2yr old. He was ready but didn't want to do it lol. We did like you and let him pick out his big boy underwear and special treats for when he went potty. When it came to going potty he just didn't get it the first day at all. He peed his pants more than on the potty and didn't tell me when he had to go. He just asked for new underwear when he peed in them.

The second day I remembered something that I had read about a naked weekend and how when this persons daughter would wet her underwear (the only thing she had on that weekend) she would make her wait for them to "dry" and then give them back (she had her child wait 30 mins and then gave a clean pair). I was not about to spend my day cleaning up pee again. So when my son peed in his underwear I would take his pants and underwear off and told him that he had to wait for them to dry b/c he peed in them and now they were wet. He hated this! I felt bad b/c I didn't want to make him feel bad. I only had to do this 3 times that day b/c he was peeing on the potty more, still not telling me when he had to go. 

After day 3 things were easier. He was telling me when he needed to go and he started going a day at a time with out an accident. He wasn't pooping though so I gave him less than 1/2 a tsp of benefiber in his juice (dr said to before). Pooping was a struggle with him. He would tell me he had to go potty but he would scream and cry on the potty while he went. 

Now it has been 4 weeks and in the past 3 weeks he has only had 4 accidents. 3 of them were just yesterday! He would start to go and stop him self and tell me. After the 3rd time yesterday I made him wiat for his underwear to dry again and he stopped peeing his pants. I was waiting for a 2 steps forawrd one step back kinda thing to happen and he has had a cold too. I have been giving him the benefiber in his juice once every day and he has been popping easier lately too.

The first 3 days were the worst, you just have to keep up with it, what ever method you use. She will get it, it sounds like she is ready so go for it. If in a week or so you don't feel she is ready, then wait a few months and try again. 

bpryce
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Started officially potty training my ds at 18 months. 100% trained in 3 weeks. No accidents, ALWAYS is in underwear or naked, no wet diapers at nap time after one week. By the end of the third week he was waking up dry and holding it all night long. But i began teaching my ds what a potty is, how to use it, and what it feels like to be wet/dirty since he was 8months old. So basically he always knew what to do and after a few days in strictly underwear he started using the potty all by himself every single time he had to go.

i know this isnt a typical situation but its what my mother did and she had 2girls and 2boys 100% potty trained before age 2, so i did it and it worked

eta: the most important thing is to praise them every single time they sit on the potty (whether they go or not) and to NEVER turn the potty into a bad thing, meaning never punish, never yell, never get visible upset over an accident. just simply tell them what they did, remind them where they are supposed to go and calmly clean them up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
outwoldinwnew11
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Wow! I have never heard of that idea, ever! Thank you I will try it!

Quoting butterflycircle:

We are potty training our 2 1/2yr old. He was ready but didn't want to do it lol. We did like you and let him pick out his big boy underwear and special treats for when he went potty. When it came to going potty he just didn't get it the first day at all. He peed his pants more than on the potty and didn't tell me when he had to go. He just asked for new underwear when he peed in them.

The second day I remembered something that I had read about a naked weekend and how when this persons daughter would wet her underwear (the only thing she had on that weekend) she would make her wait for them to "dry" and then give them back (she had her child wait 30 mins and then gave a clean pair). I was not about to spend my day cleaning up pee again. So when my son peed in his underwear I would take his pants and underwear off and told him that he had to wait for them to dry b/c he peed in them and now they were wet. He hated this! I felt bad b/c I didn't want to make him feel bad. I only had to do this 3 times that day b/c he was peeing on the potty more, still not telling me when he had to go. 

After day 3 things were easier. He was telling me when he needed to go and he started going a day at a time with out an accident. He wasn't pooping though so I gave him less than 1/2 a tsp of benefiber in his juice (dr said to before). Pooping was a struggle with him. He would tell me he had to go potty but he would scream and cry on the potty while he went. 

Now it has been 4 weeks and in the past 3 weeks he has only had 4 accidents. 3 of them were just yesterday! He would start to go and stop him self and tell me. After the 3rd time yesterday I made him wiat for his underwear to dry again and he stopped peeing his pants. I was waiting for a 2 steps forawrd one step back kinda thing to happen and he has had a cold too. I have been giving him the benefiber in his juice once every day and he has been popping easier lately too.

The first 3 days were the worst, you just have to keep up with it, what ever method you use. She will get it, it sounds like she is ready so go for it. If in a week or so you don't feel she is ready, then wait a few months and try again. 

outwoldinwnew11
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

That's what I did with my boys. Just gave them underwear and that was that, they were a lot older than my daughter is now though so it's a lot tougher this time around.

Quoting bpryce:

Started officially potty training my ds at 18 months. 100% trained in 3 weeks. No accidents, ALWAYS is in underwear or naked, no wet diapers at nap time after one week. By the end of the third week he was waking up dry and holding it all night long. But i began teaching my ds what a potty is, how to use it, and what it feels like to be wet/dirty since he was 8months old. So basically he always knew what to do and after a few days in strictly underwear he started using the potty all by himself every single time he had to go.

i know this isnt a typical situation but its what my mother did and she had 2girls and 2boys 100% potty trained before age 2, so i did it and it worked

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have never thought to try it either. yes and bc he just would pee in his pants and ask for dry underwear and didn't think it was a big deal b/c he got his dry underwear and then would pee in them again. It worked really well for him b/c he quickly learned that it wasn't ok to just pee in his pants. I didn't know what else to do b/c i didn't want to punish him b/c he didn't understand yet exactly what it was we wanted him to do. My daughter was closer to 3 when we potty trained her and we didn't have a problem at all so this was different lol. 

Also he has not once had an accident in his bed (nap or night time) and we didn't even limit his liquids. I think we just got lucky there, 

Quoting outwoldinwnew11:

Wow! I have never heard of that idea, ever! Thank you I will try it!

Quoting butterflycircle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)