Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

She's morbidly obese....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 18 Replies

I was out of town for a few weeks and I paid the neighbor's daughter to take care of my cats.  I showed her how much food they got, but she obviously fed them a lot more.  One cat I have will stop eating when she's hungry, but my little Siamese, who was tiny and 9 lbs when I left, is now 13 lbs and won't stop eating.  She seriously can't jump up on the bookshelf anymore and has turned into a grapefruit with legs.  Can anyone reccomend a good cat food for indoor cats that will help my girl slim down?  I'd like to try this for a few weeks.....if it doesn't work I'll take her to the vet to see what else I can do.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gavansmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

hahahahaha.... I'm sorry but I love fat cats.  Good luck with slimming her down.  I know that being overweight is hard on them.

christineT79
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm a vet tech & have been for the past 15 years. I've also worked half of my career at a cat only practice. The best way to put a cat on a diet is to switch to wet food only. Wet food is actually alot better for cats. If they were in the wild that is what they would eat. They wouldnt eat carbs like in the dry foods. You can feed any brand. The wet food is mostly protein from meat & water which is great for their kidneys (since most cats end up going into kidney failure & have alot of urinary problems). You can feed 1 can to each cat twice a day & that's it. I know it sounds weird especially if you have always fed dry food but it makes perfect sense to me since in the wild they are carnivors. The only other option would be to get a prescription diet from your vet for dry food. Hills Science Diet makes one called R/D (reducing diet) and W/D (weight diet). I really prefer feeding the wet food though. Good luck hun. How long were you gone that your cat gained that much weight? Just curious.

VintageWife
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

When I adopted my cats, the were over 15 lbs and got up to 20. I had to start monitoring how much they were eating and what time of day. Also, exercise her. Chase after her if ya'll are passing in the room. Make a game out of it. Get a laser light and have her chase it. Get a kitten if you want. That slimmed my female down. The younger cat works her out like crazy...lol

mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I was only gone for 10 days...I think part of the problem is that the neighbor was giving the cat BOWLS full of treats....the treats I only give 1 or 2 of once a week.  I'll try the wet food only for a week or so and I'll see if that works....I'd really like to get my kitty healthy again.

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a LOT of weight to gain in 10 days.  I'd go to the vet NOW--she may be diabetic, have severe constipation, liver failure or a blockage inside of the intestinal tract.  If the cat is an unspayed female and she has a ravenous appetite, she could be pregnant.  Even if she isn't pregnant, she could have a false pregnancy, or a uterine tumor.  If you love her, don't wait.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Holly crap, time to call animal service  LOL just kidding.   I guess you will have to look for new sitter next time.  Exercise her tons with toys and chase games.

jl89
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I feed my cat Purina Healthy Weight. I'm not sure if it would work with your cat. Our cat was really skinny and has bulked up from it (now weighs about 7lbs), but maybe it would help obese cats too. IDK 

Dqnana
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Canidae ... best stuff out there.  Seems pricey, but actually cost effective because you need less. 

Acid
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM

DO NOT feed your cat Science Diet.  It's full of fillers and other disgusting crap that no cat needs in their body.

You mention it because your vet gets a kick back from the company for every bag they sell.

When you feed the wet cat food make sure you read the label and it's got 3 to 5 percent carbs in it. 

Dry cat food isn't the devil but, like dry dog food, there are good kinds and shitty kinds...Science Diet is at the top of the shitty kind.

Also, when switiching over, make sure you do it slowly or your cat will have stomach issues...and a cat with the runs is awful.

AND, if you were a real vet tech and you actually DID practice in a cat vet, you'd know that Science Diet comes in both wet and dry formulas.

Quoting christineT79:

I'm a vet tech & have been for the past 15 years. I've also worked half of my career at a cat only practice. The best way to put a cat on a diet is to switch to wet food only. Wet food is actually alot better for cats. If they were in the wild that is what they would eat. They wouldnt eat carbs like in the dry foods. You can feed any brand. The wet food is mostly protein from meat & water which is great for their kidneys (since most cats end up going into kidney failure & have alot of urinary problems). You can feed 1 can to each cat twice a day & that's it. I know it sounds weird especially if you have always fed dry food but it makes perfect sense to me since in the wild they are carnivors. The only other option would be to get a prescription diet from your vet for dry food. Hills Science Diet makes one called R/D (reducing diet) and W/D (weight diet). I really prefer feeding the wet food though. Good luck hun. How long were you gone that your cat gained that much weight? Just curious.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

Acid
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM

If she was diabetic she'd be losing weight, not gaining it.

Where did it say she was gone for just ten days...I read a few weeks. 

I think you're going overboard here and didn't read the replies by the OP in the post.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

That's a LOT of weight to gain in 10 days.  I'd go to the vet NOW--she may be diabetic, have severe constipation, liver failure or a blockage inside of the intestinal tract.  If the cat is an unspayed female and she has a ravenous appetite, she could be pregnant.  Even if she isn't pregnant, she could have a false pregnancy, or a uterine tumor.  If you love her, don't wait.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN