Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

TV Time

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: How many hours of TV per day do you think is appropriate?

Options:

1 hour

2 hours

3 hours

4+ hours

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

Lately my children (8 yrs and 2.5 yrs) have gotten into the swing of watching a ton of tv. It's to the point where they're literally sitting down watching tv I'd guess 10 hours a day. I admit at times I use the tv as a babysitter, I work from home and if I need them quite for an hour or two I'll put on a movie for them. Most of the time however they like to argue about what to watch.

Last night was my last straw. I've been complaining to my husband about their technology use. It's way too much. When I was a child (not too long ago, I'm only 23!) I enjoyed the outdoors. You wouldn't catch me sitting in front of the tv all day. I want my kids to have the same active, healthy childhood. I see so many children so caught up in all of the game systems and iPads and iPods and junk. We have a Playstation 2 for my son, aside from that we make a strong point not to overfill our lives with technology.

ANWAYS....after my ranting....

I've decided I want to do some type of reward system with the television. ...Is that too much? I was thinking about making some "TV TIME" coupons they would need to earn through good behavior before being allowed to watch tv. Not sure on timing yet, but was thinking maybe each coupon is worth 1 hour of tv time (which also includes video game time). How much tv is appropriate per day? I want a maximum they could earn, but not sure what is an appropriate amount of time.

I don't want to complete pry them from the tv, but have it be more moderate, that way they have the opportunity to realize playing outside is fun and hey, maybe all of those damn toys I buy them could be put to use (LOL). It's more so my 8 yr old son than my 2.5  year old daughter....if I turn off the tv and give her something to do she doesn't complain. My son will moan and groan for a bit, but eventually find something to occupy himself with.....

Any opinions? I'd love to hear!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I would make each coupon worth a half hour. Honestly though, I would just turn the TV off and have them find something productive to do.

momto2boys973
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I would say about 2 hours, about a movie long. During vacations my boys do watch a bit more TV and the also have some Wii time, but when they're in school, they really don't have time for more than an hour or two, depending on homework.
spunky946
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I don't know, we don't time our tv time.  When it seems like they have had enough, off it goes.  Tends to be on more in the winter then the summer.

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The TV time coupons are a great idea, especially for your older child.

BaBa1123
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Great to hear another mom wanting their child to have less tv and more outside activities or any activity.  Coupon is good idea.   With my 2 boys (ages 6 and 8) there is no TV during the school year except Sat and Sunday.   If they want to watch a movie (2 hours long ) thats it for the day.  If they want to play video games then that last no more than 2 hours but TV can only be on for 1 hour and they have to share that hour choosing 1 show for each.   I use DEMAND or DVR so I can choose and cut threw the commercials so they can to see the show better.   The kids love to play and TV and video games are not an issue as of yet.   

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I love the idea of the coupons :) We might instate that in our house! 

PinkDragonFly
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:46 AM

my TV is on all day, for the noise, but I watch maybe 3 hrs of it here and there ( not all in one sitting)... 

Sharon

Revenge and more

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118222

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM
On a school night, an hour. Weekends, a couple hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)