Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

pet for my 8 yr old ds

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 35 Replies

I promised my son I would get him a small pet. However i'm not sure what would be a good match for him. He's 8 in 2nd grade, I was thinking maybe a hampster or something like that. it's going to be his responsability to feed and care for it. Anyone have any good ideas?

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AudrasMommy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

We have a turtle. It's my 5 y/o's. Right now he's in hibernation so there's nothing we have to do for him except soak him every 10-14 days. But when he is awake, its her job to feed him, water him and take him outside to soak up some rays. He's a really easy pet. We also have a dog and cat and I cannot for the life of me get any of the kids to take care of them. They rely solely on my dh and I.

FunnyKids
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Turtles are fun ... dd just got a guinea pig she loves it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larschick
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Make sure to check state laws because some states don't all low turtles as pets. I recommend a rabbit, because hamsters & gerbils are nocturnal animals - this could be an issue.

Quoting AudrasMommy:

We have a turtle. It's my 5 y/o's. Right now he's in hibernation so there's nothing we have to do for him except soak him every 10-14 days. But when he is awake, its her job to feed him, water him and take him outside to soak up some rays. He's a really easy pet. We also have a dog and cat and I cannot for the life of me get any of the kids to take care of them. They rely solely on my dh and I.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I didn't think they sold turtles for kids.  They can transfer salmonella.  I would stick to a hamster or gerbil.  Guinea pigs can be great pets but they need to have a really big cage and need to be with another pig.

AudrasMommy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I've checked. He's legal. :) I just can't sell him, which I never would.

Quoting larschick:

Make sure to check state laws because some states don't all low turtles as pets. I recommend a rabbit, because hamsters & gerbils are nocturnal animals - this could be an issue.

Quoting AudrasMommy:

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Will the pet be in your DS's room or not.  If not, perhaps a parakeet.  We have 3, and they are pretty easy to take care of, just clean out the cage once a week and make sure they have food and water.  He could even teach it to talk.

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

my dd is 6 and she has a ferret

larschick
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Oh I didn't mean to suggest he was illegal for y'all. We can't have a turtle cause its illegal in the state of TN. It was just an FYI for the OP.

Quoting AudrasMommy:

I've checked. He's legal. :) I just can't sell him, which I never would.

Quoting larschick:

Quoting AudrasMommy:

syndell58
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

A rat, yes I said a rat...lol. They are less likely to bite like a hamster and gerbils are very active. Hard to keep a gerbil from getting away. All of my kids started off with a baby rat. Besides having dogs the rat is what I started off with too. They are great pets!

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM
A goldfish.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN