Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help! soaked wall to wall carpet in a rental!

Posted by   + Show Post
How do I get it dry? Is there any tricks I've been using all my towels and a fan its still wet. Please help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
GOBryan
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Rent a wet/dry vac and soak it up. that's the easiest way. If you have a shampoo vac, that may help suck some up also. 

sassygoddess
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Do you have a Shop Vac...those are pretty good at getting water out of things

sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

The owners will have to replace the carpet, the floors, because if they don't they won't ever fully dry and could cause mold.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM
An extraction machine of some sort will do the job and no if it is done quickly and properly it will not need to be replaced or will it cause mold.......key words QUICKLY and PROPERLY
HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM

if a pipe burst or theres a leak somewhere then you wouldn't be able to get the carpet dry.  I know here in apartments all management companies are required to fix any damages not done by the tennant.  Our whole bathroom collapsed into our kitchen, we got the best treatment ever and we didnt have to pay rent that month (mostly cuz we were in a hotel for most of it).

Quoting destiny2nv:

it could be a leek, or something wrong with the plumbing. Did you tell the manager ? Don't wory, they will fix it, you shouldn't be responsible

Quoting amantonacci:

I don't know how it happened I got home from work and the carpet in the hall way was soaked

Quoting destiny2nv:

a rental what? Car? Apartme?House? And how did it happen ?

yperez0209
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I would get up on a chair and feel the ceiling above the carpet. However, you shouldn't be held responsible for it.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Rent a dry/ wet vac. Depending on if it's " your" fault or the property's fault you may be able to recoup the rental cost by cutting it from next months rent.
wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Seasonal Rental or apartment home??Guess it doesnt really matter. Depending on how long its been there you need to get a professional to make sure mold hasn't developed on the flooring, because it will. Other than that you will need a high powered fan and lots of bleach. Also invest into a property manager to upkeep your property when  your not there. If its a leased housing place, then you must call ur landlord. They need to fix it...LIke now.

butcher
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM

shopvac and lots of fans. it will pry mold under the padding

megandwade
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I'd use a carpet scrubber to suck up the water and a dehumidifier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)