Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Scarring my 5 y.o DD for life? UPDATE!!!! 1/11/13

Posted by   + Show Post

My 5 y. o has a very....colorful...style.  She will match orange and black striped shirt with purple and yellow and white polk-a-dots skirt and tights.  I think it's fine, she's 5, and as long as it's weather appropriate i am not going to fight that battle with her.  My mother, however, has accused me of being a bad mother and of scarring my child for life by letting her wear mis-matched clothes.  What do all of you think?

OMG!!!!  My mother is being absolutely ridiculus!  I was told today that if I let her wear "those kind of outfits"  that she will be viewed as mentally unstable, no kids will want to play with her, the teachers will look down on her and my family (meaning her and my father and my brother and his kids) will be humiliated.  Seriously?  WTF!  I kinda lost my temper with her. Because she couldn't say it just once, she had to continue to harp on it.  Ugh.  I can not believe I am actually moving to with in 10 miles of her.  Limits are going to have to be set and if she can't abide by them she is NOT going to like it.  There are some other issues between us but we are making the move to save money and for our dd well being.  I just hope my mental health can handle being around her.more often.   

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Lol your mom is nuts
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mandy121907
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM

LMAO!!!  Thanks ladies!  I didn't let what she said get to me too much!  Especially the "scarring" her bit. 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I don't pick out my 5 year olds clothing. As long as it is weather appropriate, I let her wear what she wants. It almost never matches. 

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you'd scar her more if you crush her spirit and make her conform! Tell your mother this is YOUR daughter--she had her shot at raising one and she did a damn fine job of it. But this is YOUR shot and YOUR decision to allow her to do what she wants in this respect. She isn't hurting anyone and she isn't doing anything that cannot be reversed. 

catngabsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM

there is a whole store for girls called little miss matched, everything is mismatched, wild and crazy color and pattern combos, etc. your dd is trendy and doesn't give a damn what others think, i would run with it, let her flourish and encourage her to always be true to herself!!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I want to see a picture of this adorableness.   How is it scarrng by letting her figure out her own style.  I agree with you that weather barring, anything can be worn.  My mom doesnt like dd's style since she is stuck in the "matchy matchy'" way of thinking.  I just try to get clothing that is in the same color family so dd can mix and match.

STVUstudent
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

LOL... that is hilarious.  I hope she is kidding- scarred for life?  Just by wearing mis-matched clothes?  Lots of little kids LIKE really bright, colorful clothes... they don't look at patterns and such so much as, hey, I really like pink... purple... yellow... stripes... spots...  wait until she is a teen and gets into the goth stage and only wants to wear black...

She will outgrow this... but by giving her the freedom of expression NOW, it may give her more confidence in the future.  If she really wants to wear this, why draw the line in the sand over this kind of issue?  Save the fights for the micro-skirts and hooker shoes...

STVUstudent
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

My son (5) went to gymnastics this morning in his sister's black stretchy pants, a spiderman tee shirt and her purple crocks and jacket.  One sister, 4, was matched to a fashion plate.  His twin sister was wearing her pajamas.  Hey, it was 8:30, teeth were brushed,a nd we were out of the house.  THAT in itself is an accomplishment.  So long as all the parts are covered, who cares what they wear so long as it is clean and in decent repair...

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I think your mom is being a bit over dramatic.  The only way it will scar her is if people make fun of her.

Jazmyn1
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Lol shes fine let her express herself!! My sons 10 and wears wrestler masks out in public hell i dont care lol there kids
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)