Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Scarring my 5 y.o DD for life? UPDATE!!!! 1/11/13

Posted by   + Show Post

My 5 y. o has a very....colorful...style.  She will match orange and black striped shirt with purple and yellow and white polk-a-dots skirt and tights.  I think it's fine, she's 5, and as long as it's weather appropriate i am not going to fight that battle with her.  My mother, however, has accused me of being a bad mother and of scarring my child for life by letting her wear mis-matched clothes.  What do all of you think?

OMG!!!!  My mother is being absolutely ridiculus!  I was told today that if I let her wear "those kind of outfits"  that she will be viewed as mentally unstable, no kids will want to play with her, the teachers will look down on her and my family (meaning her and my father and my brother and his kids) will be humiliated.  Seriously?  WTF!  I kinda lost my temper with her. Because she couldn't say it just once, she had to continue to harp on it.  Ugh.  I can not believe I am actually moving to with in 10 miles of her.  Limits are going to have to be set and if she can't abide by them she is NOT going to like it.  There are some other issues between us but we are making the move to save money and for our dd well being.  I just hope my mental health can handle being around her.more often.   

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Replies (21-30):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

yaaa..my daughter has wacky taste in clothing too..but..i dont let her leave the house in it...at home she can wear whatever she wants..but when we go out, she has to wear something reasonable...lol

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I used to give them a choice of two outfits so they had some control. But I personally wouldn't want them running around completely mismatched.

lovemygage
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM
She is figuring out who she wants to be! I think its great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
etsmom
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Ehhh. No big deal. I let my daughter where what she wants when we are at home, but when we go out she is dressed in clothes that match. She likes to make them at least match in color.  She is 4.

starmoonlight
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
You better start picking out her therapist now.. LoL! Is your daughters bday 12/19/07 like the numbers in your screen-name? That's my daughters bday.
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

it's a fashion phase...she'll outgrow it, or when she's older, start making her own styles that DO match.  Your mother is cracked for even suggesting such a thing. 

prieta05
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Whats rofl?

Quoting atlmom2:

ROFL. Who cares what she wears!! Your mom is the crazy one. OCD maybe.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
evilangel198431
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM
It seems to be the style now to wear clothes that don't match. Lots of teenagers are dressing that way. I think when she gets older you should teach her that there are certain times and places she should wear matching clothes such as job interviews and special occasions and tell her why. Other than that I see no problem with this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM
You're one up on me. I let my 6 dd wear anything. Stretchy pants and a skirt? You do know it's freezing out there. Don't care? Fine. Wear it. And learn your lesson the hard way, with frozen butt cheeks.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Roll on the floor laughing

Quoting prieta05:

Whats rofl?

Quoting atlmom2:

ROFL. Who cares what she wears!! Your mom is the crazy one. OCD maybe.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)