Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Scarring my 5 y.o DD for life? UPDATE!!!! 1/11/13

Posted by   + Show Post

My 5 y. o has a very....colorful...style.  She will match orange and black striped shirt with purple and yellow and white polk-a-dots skirt and tights.  I think it's fine, she's 5, and as long as it's weather appropriate i am not going to fight that battle with her.  My mother, however, has accused me of being a bad mother and of scarring my child for life by letting her wear mis-matched clothes.  What do all of you think?

OMG!!!!  My mother is being absolutely ridiculus!  I was told today that if I let her wear "those kind of outfits"  that she will be viewed as mentally unstable, no kids will want to play with her, the teachers will look down on her and my family (meaning her and my father and my brother and his kids) will be humiliated.  Seriously?  WTF!  I kinda lost my temper with her. Because she couldn't say it just once, she had to continue to harp on it.  Ugh.  I can not believe I am actually moving to with in 10 miles of her.  Limits are going to have to be set and if she can't abide by them she is NOT going to like it.  There are some other issues between us but we are making the move to save money and for our dd well being.  I just hope my mental health can handle being around her.more often.   

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Replies (41-50):
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM
She is the next fashion designer. tell ur mon get over it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn820
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Your mother is out-of-touch. Let your daughter be unique! That is fantastic that she has her own style! I'm happy if I can get pants on my son...they have a tendency to frown upon boys in just underpants showing up for Montessori. :D
USCGAMECOCK92
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM
She's your child not your mother's and you gave birth to her not your mother. I would tell your mother to mind her own business where this matter is concerned. As long as your daughter doesn't have a problem with wearing mis-matched clothes then neither should anyone else, especially her grandmother. Your daughter will start developing a sense of fashion very soon then tell your mother she can take your daughter shopping for all the expensive clothes she wants to wear.
spotsmom
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I think your mother is being ridiculous. Is she always this melodramatic or was she being facetious?

mskitty6
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

She's 5, who cares. The heck with your Mil.

Mandy121907
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

BUMP!

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM

That's ridiculous! We actually bought SD mismatched socks for school this year lol. It was a pack of 20 individual socks and each one was decorated differently lol. She is learning to express herself, other kids her age don't know if purple matches orange and lime green, Who really cares? She's 5!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Your Mom is a total but case
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymom64064
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Your mom is a nut!! Let your daughter wear what ever she wants....she is just expressing herself :-)

charmgirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Wow! I feel your pain. My sister is always picking on my 5 year olds hair and shit. It really irritates me. And she dosnt just stop, she keeps on saying stuff. She's going to make him feel self consciece (spelling)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN