Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Crying Over Daycare

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hello Everyone,

In one week my three year old is going to daycare.  She has been in the care of her grandparents since I went back to work two years ago.  I am not sure this is a good idea to put her in an in home daycare but I thought its now or never and in home day care with two people  in have been in operation over ten years.Did I mention I am three months pregnant and I have a list of reasons why she should go to daycare and only two why not. One of nots are price, and the bond between her grandparents.  Which leads me to say she is spoiled beyond belief, not potty trained with 4 grandparents, haven't been around children her age bschool readiness skills, bedtime and etc,  I told DH about my anxiety ..he said that it's the hormones talking.  Can someone help easy my fears?

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't worry, she will pick up all those skills at daycare, and she will love being around other children. Grandparents are awesome too, but kids need a variety!

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Grandparents are great, but they don't provide the social stimulation a young child needs with peers her own age...think of it as a positive experience for her that will enrich her life...i'm sure grandparents can pick her up from daycare now and then, and take her out, to keep the bond between  them strong.   

clb79
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I was in a similar situation with my 2 and a half year old in the fall.  We ended up starting him in day care 2 days a week and with grandma for 3 days for a couple months and then full time day care in November.  It was a hard transition, for both of us, but now he loves day cares and I see him more advanced socially and developmentaly (speech, fine motor skills, etc) than he would have been if he stayed with his grandma.  I think you are doing the right thing and it is normal to have some anxiety around the change. Hang in there and congrats on the new baby!!

Kellyjude1
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Since I worked my son was in my parent's care.  It was only when he started school that I had to place him in before care.  I have to say my personal preference is always family.  My mom did a wonderful job of teaching my son his ABC's and learning different things, but most of all the love and bond my son had with them is something I cherish.  Sadly to say my dad passed away in July and my mom has had 2 strokes.  I would give anything for those special times again.  Don't get me wrong my mom still is a blessing and a part of his life and he just adores her.  But she now needs to be supervised and as a family we are all coming together to care for her.  While I can understand you want other children to be able to interact with your child nothing beats grandma and pop's love and nurturing.  Its a hard decision for some, but for me there is no greater care then grandma and poppy.  I hope everything works out for you.  grandmagrandpa

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
It will be very good for her. My dd went to daycare starting at 3 months. It was good for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Belismom
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM
My dd is at a home daycare and they have a regular curriculum. It builds structure and my dd loves it. I love it too bc I always see her doing new things at home that she does at daycare which makes it all worth it to me.
She was going FT but with recent health issues had to pull her out but she will go maybe 2 times a week just to play and see her friends. It will be well worth it. You will see.
My dd crys when we drop her off but the teacher alway texts me like 5 mins after we leave with a picture of her playing and that she is happy and ok.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
caro100
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I think you are right to send her to daycare, because of the potty training if nothing else

kibbskins
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I'm in the daycare column! For sure! My grandparents basically raised my younger cousin and it took him forever to be potty trained and he was always very very demanding. Even now he is 13-14 and has social issues and expects to be catered to. My grandmother has cut up mozzerella sticks for him when we go out to eat. The kid is like 13, he can use a damn knife!

robyann
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I'm all for gma's watching the kids while mom and dad work. I do it myself :)  But I do agree that at about 3 or 4 years old they do need some kind of preschool, some form of learning basics, to learn to socialize with other kids their own age.

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I had both my girls home with me until they went to kinder. No daycare or structured school experience before that. We did learning at home. I have not seen any learning or socialization issues from either of them. They are active and involved in their class and well liked. They work well with others and learn well in school. I have nothing against daycare or preschool, but I did want to point out that they are not essential for learning and socialization . Those things can be learned perfectly well from a home and family environment .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN