Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My SS is 5 years old and his is wetting the bed!!! Honestly, I'm not sure why he is still doing it but its awful. I have to wash his sheets every other day and his room always smells like urine. I am beyond frustrating. I have a 3 year old DD as well and she doesn't pee her bed. I'm not sure what is wrong. I have tried not giving him drinks before bed and making him go to the bathroom before bed. I have grounded him and now the other kids make  fun of him. He doesn't seem to care at all. I don't want to put him in diapers because that is just plain embarrassing for a 5 year old who has been potty trained for years now. I just don't understand and I'm lost. Please help. Does anyone else deal with this? Is there something wrong with him? Is punishment the right thing to do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM
What helped my dd a little bit was getting what is called a potty watch from pottymd.com. Part of the issue with kids that wet is sometimes they don't go enough in the day and the signal sent from the bladder to the brain becomes weak which makes the issue worse. There is a medication (a nasal spray) but it can only be used a month at a time and it potentially has some bad side effects. We use it for sleep overs...

Quoting mamisjourney:

oh ok. Yeah i came here before making it a big deal.. I only make him clean up his sheets thats about all I do right now. If anything he sees the disappintment in my eyes when i see a wet bed. But frustration is usually contained between me and his dad

Quoting LuvingMy3Girls:

I'm sorry I think I said that wrong. :( in rereading it the last line sounded so bitchy and that was not not my intent You should be asking for advice for sure. I mean with him dont stress him about it and make it a huge deal in his life i know how frustrating it can be. .oh trust me I get that. My dd had 3 dry nights this week for THE FIRST TIME IN HER LIFE.

Quoting mamisjourney:

A big deal??? Am I wrong or if this place for asking for advice on a subject I don't know about? That is what I am doing here...asking for advice, how is that making is a big deal???

Quoting LuvingMy3Girls:

Sigh..,, please don't punish him. My 9dd still wets. Most of the time it's because the hormone that stops urine production at night is weak or Deficient. This hormone is usually fully functioning by 2-3 but sometimes it's not. You can ask to see a Pediatric urologist who Specializes in bed wetting for some tips but really until the hormone develops the wetting will continue. Invest in some pull ups and stop making a big deal about it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I agree with Robin. Don't push for bedwetting because it can make it worse. Also try leaving a light on at night so its not so dark. He could be afraid of the dark. Have him checked to make sure he doesn't have an infections too.

Quoting Cafe Robin:

I've heard that punishment is the wrong thing to do and that some kids still wet the bed even in elementary school because they are deep sleepers or have weak bladders.  You can ask your doctor for their opinion as well... but it doesn't sound unusual at all.

I suggest using pull ups or good-nights at night, limiting drinks after 6pm and making sure that he's using the bathroom before bed.  Once the pull ups are dry for a while, you can stop using them and probably won't have to worry about washing sheets!

Hang in there - good luck!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Hi mamisjourney. Welcome. :)  

First things first...Hugs.  I know this is frustrating to both you and your son.  Second..It's not any fun for your son either. Just because he doesn't show or speak about anyone making fun of him or what his own personal feelings are doesn't mean he isn't feeling a little bad about the situation. Some kids just internalize every little feeling or nuance they have about everything. This is normal. Third...you should make an appointment to see a dr. and determine one way or the other about whether or not he has any infections or something that would cause him to have an issue in the first place.  Fourth...your son is only 5. Not all kids reach a milestone at the same time or even the same age. So just because your younger child potty-trained early doesn't mean that your son should have done so also. It may take some kids a little longer to "connect" with what lesson may be being taught at the moment. In your son's case, it's potty-training.  And yes, I do understand what you are going through I had one of my children go through the same thing. What you and I need to remember is, it is up to us to stay calm, cool and collected. Your son is still just a little guy even though he may act like he is older and wiser sometimes. You are at a moment in your family life where you will be picking your battles with your children. Meaning, fighting about those issues that are the most important. Now you must determine whether this is one of those battles that must be won. Or whether it is a battle that you need  not worry about at this time. Eventually your son will *get* it. When he is ready to. And no amount of pressure will make that happen any faster that it is going to happen.  And most likely, he will.  I know, its very frustrating, to say the least. But you can do it. :)  Hang in there. And know that I'm rooting for you. :)  

-- Good Luck

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM

My 11yr old wet the bed up until last year.

Your son isn't doing it to be bad. His bladder hasn't caught up yet. I would put goodnights on him every night to eliminate wet sheets and a wet mattress.

You shouldn't punish him and you shouldn't allow other children to make fun of him. It is embarrassing enough t\without you making him seem dirty.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Take him to the doctors to be checked out for a UTI.  Get him up in the middle of the night to pee, too.  Put that peel off bed pad on his bed.  Consider pull ups for the time being at night.

Also, if it has just started happening and there is no bladder or kidney infection, it could be intersitial cystitis or bladder spasms. IC or bladder spasms have been linked to food allergies.  Start keeping a food journal of everything he eats and whether he had an accident that day or night.  Is he on any medications?

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I would take him to the pediatrician to rule out a health problem related to kidney's or urinary tract.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Wait, you are grounding him for something he's doing while asleep ? SMH!

I would love to answer this question, but it would be my fifteenth time.

Hopefully someone else can explain what to do and why it happens .

Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM

It tends to run in families, because it's physical. Or, rather, it's a physical developmental issue.

When kidneys start concentrating urine while a person is sleeping, the bladder no longer becomes full and reflexively empties. In some populations, that happens before a year... in others it doesn't happen until they're 12 or 13.

I know of no way to talk a body into developing faster or on a different schedule.

mamisjourney
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

The thing is he has been potty trained for 2 years...and this is only recent. He hasn't wet the bed until now.

tears78
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM
my twins are the same age and we r havin the same problem , wish I knew how to stop it asked the dr. she said its normal. My older son never did. It is beyond frustrating
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN