Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 3 yr old kicked me in the face

Posted by   + Show Post
What would you have done? I spanked him once then put him in his room. I feel AWFUL that i spanked him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (31-36):
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM
We havent done brushing and the OT doesnt think the vest will help because of his low muscle tone. And youre right..time outs are HORRIBLE. I will try those activities with him. He likes to rough house. Im not a fan of it but if it helps i will try. His dad used to do that alot with him but he hasnt seen him in a while.

Quoting icn_mom:

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

He has sensory processing disorder. He is a sensory seeker so alot of his behavior reflects that. He is usually "amped up" morning to evening. He charges at me, spins, tackles his little brother. The OT has been saying he needs more outside time. Which is difficult for me because of my depression. I hate going outside..especially in the winter.

Quoting icn_mom:

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Alot of the time, time outs dont do much anymore. I put him in his room many times a day. Too many. He does things he knows will get me fired up. And when he goes to his room, 9 times out of 10, he starts screaming and throwing toys at the door.

Quoting icn_mom:

Usually my reaction to my child physically assaulting me at all is getting upset.. ive reacted by spanking before (its like an initial reaction), but I try to just put her in time out...

Oh I feel your pain... I have holes in my walls and doors from my daughter freaking out!!!! she gets angry with something ive said and punches me, throws things at me, screams at me, and time out is the only resort I have.. her time out is my time out... if I dont get time out, then it turns into a much larger fight!! I Dont think spanking to get a point across is a bad thing so please dont think that Im saying that spanking him was wrong by any means (my daughter gets taps in the mouth for screaming at me and spankings on the tush for punching me) but I really try to get her in her room before it gets to that... Since he is so physically agressive have you thought of an evaluation for him?

Have you tried weight therapy or "brushing: with him? my daughter used to wear a weighted vest and it really seemd to help.. and brushing, that was one of her favorite activites of the day!!!! and since he has SPD, maybe an activity instead of time out may be more effective? I sometimes use "burrito play" with my dd who has ASD. (get a large blanket roll him tightly in it then unroll him"... other sesory activites could include tumbling, jumping jacks, spinning, playdough... I know that time outs with a child with seonsory seeking behaviors can be very difficult!!! Also I know how bad it can feel spanking them, and when a child is a "sensory seeker" spanking may not be very effective, since it may not only cause an aggressive response, but trigger the "sensory surge"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deepthinker
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bafamily:

Yes, because one it is about respect and he kicked her to just be disrespectful and difiant and two it teaches the child how it hurts to get hit so he will think twice about doing it again.  I'm cool with mom's that don't believe in spanking though too.

Quoting eviesmom453:

So, you hit him to teach him not to "hurt" you? OK.

I agree a spanking can teach a child not to hit, because it let's them know it hurts. I have spanked for hitting and I told my child "It doesn't feel good does it?, so you shouldn't hit anyone because it hurts." My children learned not to hit an an early age.  I'm fine with people who don't spank either, but timeouts don't work for every child and every situation.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I would have spanked also.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM

It is possible that he was just kicking out and accidentally hit you in the  mouth? Either way, it is the fighting being cleaned up that is the problem.  I'd have told him firmly that he hurt me and that he would need to be in the naughty chair because he behaved so badly getting changed.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Yes. I had him laying on the floor so I could clean him up. He pooped his pants. He wanted to keep playing and didnt want to lay down. So he kicked me straight in the mouth.

Quoting crwspringer:

Was it on purpose?

icn_mom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

We havent done brushing and the OT doesnt think the vest will help because of his low muscle tone. And youre right..time outs are HORRIBLE. I will try those activities with him. He likes to rough house. Im not a fan of it but if it helps i will try. His dad used to do that alot with him but he hasnt seen him in a while.

Quoting icn_mom:

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

He has sensory processing disorder. He is a sensory seeker so alot of his behavior reflects that. He is usually "amped up" morning to evening. He charges at me, spins, tackles his little brother. The OT has been saying he needs more outside time. Which is difficult for me because of my depression. I hate going outside..especially in the winter.

Quoting icn_mom:

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Alot of the time, time outs dont do much anymore. I put him in his room many times a day. Too many. He does things he knows will get me fired up. And when he goes to his room, 9 times out of 10, he starts screaming and throwing toys at the door.

Quoting icn_mom:

Usually my reaction to my child physically assaulting me at all is getting upset.. ive reacted by spanking before (its like an initial reaction), but I try to just put her in time out...

Oh I feel your pain... I have holes in my walls and doors from my daughter freaking out!!!! she gets angry with something ive said and punches me, throws things at me, screams at me, and time out is the only resort I have.. her time out is my time out... if I dont get time out, then it turns into a much larger fight!! I Dont think spanking to get a point across is a bad thing so please dont think that Im saying that spanking him was wrong by any means (my daughter gets taps in the mouth for screaming at me and spankings on the tush for punching me) but I really try to get her in her room before it gets to that... Since he is so physically agressive have you thought of an evaluation for him?

Have you tried weight therapy or "brushing: with him? my daughter used to wear a weighted vest and it really seemd to help.. and brushing, that was one of her favorite activites of the day!!!! and since he has SPD, maybe an activity instead of time out may be more effective? I sometimes use "burrito play" with my dd who has ASD. (get a large blanket roll him tightly in it then unroll him"... other sesory activites could include tumbling, jumping jacks, spinning, playdough... I know that time outs with a child with seonsory seeking behaviors can be very difficult!!! Also I know how bad it can feel spanking them, and when a child is a "sensory seeker" spanking may not be very effective, since it may not only cause an aggressive response, but trigger the "sensory surge"

:) just a note before you start the rough housing.. make sure he is in understanding that there is a time and place for everything... my daughter hasnt quite got the grip on that, and we have run into issues with her punching me and her father for no reason, and when we speak to her about it she says "were fighting, like funny right mama?"... :) but I think its great if you can find a stimulating activity that can feed his particular sensory diet! :)

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:25 AM
Ya don't worry op he'll remember.

Quoting SouthTxPrincess:

I would have spanked him too. My dd is three and if she ever purposely kicked me in the face she would get spanked and be grounded. No tv til the next day and she would be cleaning her room. We do not tolerate that sort of behavior at all here.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)