Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How many calories does a 13 month old need per day?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok so my husband has decided to count our 13 month olds calories as he is worried he is not gaining enough weight. when we took him to his 12 month checkup the doctor said he is gaining weight just fine but i think my husband is use to him gaining a lot of weight with each growth spurt when he was a baby but i keep telling him that  as a toddler they slow down and not to worry as long as he is gaining weight he is fine and the doctor said he is fine. My husband said he thinks he looks thin but he has a big tummy and his limbs are still chubby:o) No they are not as chubby as they use to be but he is getting taller so yes he is going to look thinner than when he was first born. We feed him 3 meals a day, 2 snacks and now only 2 cups of milk ( breast milk mixed with whole milk).  The daycare lady usually provides food but today he decided to pack his food to show her how much to feed him and to show her how many calories each time of food package has. He thinks he should have 1200 calories per day according to what he looked online. It was some website that calculates his age and current weight. Another thing I read online said  a 1 year old should eat 900-1000 calories per day. I think as long as we continue to provide our son with healthy food throughout the day and he is gaining weight then he is fine but if my husband is going to be on this counting calories kick then i would like to know how much he should have that way we don't underfeed him or overfeed him?

oh an idea my husband had just in case our son doesn't want to eat a lot is to add butter to everything....I don't want our son to pick up putting butter on everything and become obese! our friends nutritionist told them to do this with there two year old but there kid actually does have a weight issue as he weighs only 18 pounds and is two years old our son was born 10 pounds and now weighs 25 pounds he is fine. Yes he probably would have weighed a bit more at his  12month check up but he was really sick and vommiting a few nights before.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Tell hubby to back off!!  Toddlers sometimes survive on air and the occational chicken nugget and they all grow up just fine!   They're going to go through so many ebbs and flows when it comes to eating, that trying to track it will just drive you all insane.

Offer healthy foods, then let him decide how much, or how little he wants.   He knows his needs better than you, dad OR Google.   Expect weeks when he can't eat enough... and others when he eats like a bird.   It's all normal and expected, forcing more food or calories on him is a recipe for obesity. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM

He needs about 1000 calories. Your husband needs to stop counting calories before you guys go crazy :) Everything you are thinking is correct.... don't put extra butter on his food, this will create horrible eating habits. You say he is gaining weight and is healthy. Your husband needs to quit stressing. Toddlers don't gain weight like infants do. You know exactly what's right; educate the hubby!!! It's perfectly normal for a toddler to have sporadic eating patterns just like adults. Just keep offering healthy foods and fluids. You're doing a great job.

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I agree with the other ladies.  Your son is at a very healthy weight for his age, and the doctor isn't concerned, therefore your hubby needs to back off.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

If the doctor isnt concerned about it and he is fine weight wise, then I think your hubby needs to lay off.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting Reina13:

If the doctor isnt concerned about it and he is fine weight wise, then I think your hubby needs to lay off.

sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM

i was just reading about nutrition on another website and it said 40 calories per day for every inch tall your toddler is. (multiply height by 40) Beyond that i would say opinion wise your doctor said he was healthy, it sounds like your husband is just worried. i totally wouldn't add the butter. plus on the website i was on it was like don't worry if they don't eat that exact amount of calories it's just a guideline

Dvegas
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Quoting sarahfaith123:

i was just reading about nutrition on another website and it said 40 calories per day for every inch tall your toddler is. (multiply height by 40) Beyond that i would say opinion wise your doctor said he was healthy, it sounds like your husband is just worried. i totally wouldn't add the butter. plus on the website i was on it was like don't worry if they don't eat that exact amount of calories it's just a guideline

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
My dd gained nothing in height or weight between 12 and 15 months. Kids grow on their own pace. She was 20 lbs at 2 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM
25 lbs at a year is fine. You don't want an obese toddler.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dvegas
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Quoting sarahfaith123:

That is what my husband did and that is how he came up with 1200 calories per day. So if that website is correct then i guess my husband is correct in wanting to ensure that or kid gets the amount of food that he needs ( give or take a few calories of course). He packed his food for him for day care yesterday instead of letting the day care feed him from there supply of food as they do not tell us how much they are giving him and what do you know he did eat all 1200 calories ( NO butter added) nothing but healthy food. So i guess he was right when he sai dhe can eat that amount of food. I  also was right in me telling him the night before that he doesn't need his last bottle of milk after dinner anymore since he was already getting the recommended amount during the day this in turn  made our lil one want to eat more solids the following day. Also i noticed without that last bottle of milk the following day (yesterday ) he finally had a normal poop instead of the rock hard ones that hurt him woo hoo!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)