Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Mattress shopping

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 18 Replies

We are shopping for a new mattress. Ours is old, really old, and probably gross, LOL! We have been married almost 8 years, and I had it as my bed before that. I have no clue how old this mattress is. 

Anyway, where do I start?
I want someone to deliver it, and take the old one.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Go to a mattress store or a furniture store. We like to support local businesses so go to a local furniture store- they pick up and deliver.  You may need a new box spring and new frame also- usually they recommend replacing these when replacing a mattress.

Be sure you lie down on the mattress for a while before making a decision. Good luck!

AleaKat
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Go to a mattress store- not a furniture store. Furniture stores mark up their prices for the convenience of having it all right there at once ( furniture And mattresses)
Most mattress stores deliver and haul away if not you can donate it to Salvation Army and they will pick it up and sanitize it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Our frame is only 2 years old, but our box spring matches the mattress...so who knows, LOL! 

Quoting Bmat:

Go to a mattress store or a furniture store. We like to support local businesses so go to a local furniture store- they pick up and deliver.  You may need a new box spring and new frame also- usually they recommend replacing these when replacing a mattress.

Be sure you lie down on the mattress for a while before making a decision. Good luck!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Just FYI....:-) The average mattress weighs almost 20# heavier when you throw it out than when it was new. Never buy a used one....mites, shed skin cells, 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Oh no, we would NEVER buy a used one. EVER. 
Our city is the bed bug capital of the US...I am pretty sure. UGh...

We, sadly, will not be lying down on the the mattresses to test them out either....we don't even go to the movie theater any longer. 

Quoting suetoo:

Just FYI....:-) The average mattress weighs almost 20# heavier when you throw it out than when it was new. Never buy a used one....mites, shed skin cells, 

Dqnana
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Don't know what your budget is, or your sleeping preferences ... but I can tell you that I had an Original Tempurpedic that was as good at 10 yrs old as it was the day I purchased it. you could not tell that a human being had ever lain upon it ... no depression, no "breaking down", nothing. Sadly, we moved it into our motor coach, and when we upgraded to a newer one, it went along. I have had 2 "Some Other Brand" Memry Foam mattresses since then, and while I certainly prefer them to a traditional inner spring, they are NOT as good as the REAL Tempurpedic.  I am not employed by any mattress company or store ... just know what my experience has been.  My goal is to replace this latest mattress with another Tempurpedic. You don't need the most expensive in their line ... but they are great.

savingtheworld
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Any mattresse store should deliver an take the old one..I just went thru the same thing, we got a California king beauty rest!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

We had a tempurpedic mattress topper which was $300 and made the mattress feel great. (would still have it but sweet cat peed on it, poor thing very skittish) If you can afford it, since you can't lay on it first, i would just go for the tempurpedic mattress. yea i agree with prev poster - any store will take away the old one.

victoriahearts
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

There a lot of stores you can go to they are the national retailers like sleepy's, sears, JcPenny, and also other furniture stores, they all should be able to delivery, install and pick up the old one. 

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM

If it were me I'd either go expensive like a matress that has two sides and controllers or Sam's club.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)