Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

1st preemie

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
Im a mother of four. Dominick is our first preemie.,looking to chat with other preemie moms. It is like another world for me with many bumps along.the way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
my son was a preemie. he was born at 35 weeks and spent two weeks in the nicu with a feeding tube. it was scary. he ended up having delays but he's all good now and waiting to turn 6 in 2 weeks
mamakin616
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My son Giovani was my 6th child and he was born 6 weeks early weighing only 3 lbs and 3 oz .,He was also breach and had a double hernia that had to be operated on as soon as his weight reached ten pounds and that took just about seven weeks. THANK GOD ALL OF HIS INTERNAL ORGANS WERE DEVELOPED. He was the tiniest baby I had ever held,I was scared to death.He also had RSV.He had a breathing machine at home because he would suddenly stop breathing and  it would go off with sirenn like alarms that sounded like a fire truck ...that scared him and me so bad it would bring us all to tears everytime it would happen.Luckily he needed to use it for only about 2 months and then the Doctoe said we could stop using it and gave us a different kind of monitor.He was on a special formula to help build the weight up ,a high calorie kind that we needed a prescriptioin for and I was told to keep him away from bright lights and noisy areas .He gained weight well and was rolling over on time and sitting up and all the things that he was supposed to do ,he did on time.He was just very small.He will be ten years old this April and he is still a little on the small side ,but he is perfectly healthy and he loves to play soccer and he has played for his school for the last 2 years .He scored 12 goals this past season and I was so proud when he was handed his trophy that I cried like a baby.I will never forget the fear that went through me when I first saw him ,and to this day I call him my Little Man.

DominickAiden
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Mine was born at 33 weeks. 3lbs 9oz. Three weeks in nicu. Hernia on his groin two weeks after we came home, had surgery, other than reflux no health issues. But tons of sleep issues!!! He will only sleep if we hold him!! He is now 9 months old. Did your babies have issues sleeping?
mommyneedssleep
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was born at 32 weeks!!! It was a challenge but she turned out amazing just like I knew she would!!! She had a valve in her heart open but was closed ASAP!!! She does have a heart murmur and cardiac arithmia now, along with asthma and low blood pressure but it doesn't stop her from being a girl let me tell you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
worriedmommie
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello, My name is Jennifer. My son was a mirco premie water broke at 22 wks he was born at 24 wks at 1 pound 4 ounces and 11 inches long. He is 7 years old now, and just amazing. I hope that my experience with my Frankie will help.  Please ask me anything about preemies, if I cant answer it I have plenty books to research it.

OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

All 3 of my children were preemies.  They are 5, 14, and 17 now, and all are doing great :)

Mamie_85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM
My oldest was born at 26 weeks. He was 1 lb, 11 Oz. He's 7 now
DominickAiden
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Did you have sleep issues? Dominick has never slept well. We literally have to hold him in our arms all night! Sometimes even then he is super restless. I have tried everything

Quoting worriedmommie:

Hello, My name is Jennifer. My son was a mirco premie water broke at 22 wks he was born at 24 wks at 1 pound 4 ounces and 11 inches long. He is 7 years old now, and just amazing. I hope that my experience with my Frankie will help.  Please ask me anything about preemies, if I cant answer it I have plenty books to research it.

worriedmommie
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I had to hold Frankie as a baby while trying to get him to sleep.  He is just now sleeping in his own bed, but it takes a long time to calm him down.  I either sing or read to him, or I will rub his back . i still check on him through out the night to make sure he is still breathing even though it has been years since he was on an apnea machine.   Prehaps you should discuss Dominick sleeping patters with your doctor. 

Please let me know how it goes.

Sweetest_Britt
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM

My first was born at 32 weeks, 3 lbs. He was in the NICU 1 month, oxygen for 2 months. No issues except a slight speech delay.

My middle was 32 weeks, 4 lbs after we had steroids. He was in the NICU 1 month, oxygen for 2 months. Also a speech delay.

My last, 28 weeks, 2 lbs 13 inches. 3 months in the NICU, 10 1/2 months on oxygen. This kid is beyond his age for things. No delays or issues. He had an umbilical hernia which corrected itself about 12 months. He's done AMAZING. Only issue is that he's almost 3 and is 18 lbs 28 inches (wears 9 month clothing still)

This is all of them now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)