Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

super tired?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
I ebf my soon to be 8 week old. Things have been going good for the most part. Well for about a week now, dd seems to wake up at 2/230am til about 4. I nap and sleep when she does, but for the past week I've been excessively sleepy during the day when I'm awake. Is this normal or should I call my doc? I can barely stay awake at times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM

You may want to check in with your doctor .  Are you taking in enough calories for ebfing?

StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? It wouldn't hurt to talk to your Dr and see what they think.

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I was going to also suggest a thyroid check.

youngmom16
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I do have low thyroid and am on medication. I have an appointment next week to check my levels. As for calories, I don't know if I take enough in or not. How much should I be taking in? I don't count calories often if ever but I can track the next few days just so I can be sure I'm taking enough in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I think for a nursing mom it is 2000 a day (1500 for a non nursing female + 500 for the breast feeding)..  I will double check though.

Quoting youngmom16:

I do have low thyroid and am on medication. I have an appointment next week to check my levels. As for calories, I don't know if I take enough in or not. How much should I be taking in? I don't count calories often if ever but I can track the next few days just so I can be sure I'm taking enough in.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM

RECOMMENDED DAILY CALORIE INTAKE FOR BREASTFEEDING WOMEN

Jul 28, 2011 | By Nicaela Crawford
Recommended Daily Calorie Intake for Breastfeeding Women
Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

Breastfeeding not only nourishes your baby, but also helps you burn a significant number of calories. This means that you might be able to eat more while you are breastfeeding and still lose those pregnancy pounds. Consult your doctor if you have any questions about calorie intake or dieting while you are nursing.

DAILY CALORIE INTAKE

The average breastfeeding woman gives 425 to 700 calories to her baby in breast milk, according to the American Pregnancy Association, so increased calorie intake is necessary for optimal nutrition for both mother and baby. Specific calorie requirements vary from woman to woman. However, generally speaking, most breastfeeding women need to consume about 1,800 to 2,200 calories per day, according to Kelly Bonyata of Kellymom.com, an online breastfeeding resource run by lactation consultants.

CALORIE QUALITY

The quality of calories you consume while you're breastfeeding is just as important as quantity. The extra calories that you consume during lactation should be from healthy, nutrient-rich foods that will aid in your baby's growth and benefit your own health. Avoid high-calorie, low-nutrient foods, like fast food, baked goods and high-sugar candy and soda. Pay attention to the vitamin and mineral content of your food, and choose products that are rich in nutrients like calcium and vitamin D, which are both very important during lactation.

DIETING

Aim for slow, consistent weight loss while you are breastfeeding. Excessive, quick weight loss may affect your milk supply and leave you feeling fatigued. Avoid dieting the first two months after your baby is born. After this initial period, you can diet safely by limiting your weight loss to 1.5 pounds per week. Generally speaking, however, it is best to eat when you are hungry in order to maintain a healthy and abundant milk supply and your energy levels.

TIPS

In addition to getting adequate calories, stay hydrated while you are nursing. Avoid high-calorie, high-sugar drinks and opt for water instead. Drink caffeine and alcohol moderately while you're nursing. The American Pregnancy Association recommends drinking a gallon of water daily while you're nursing. Some foods, like Brussels sprouts, chocolate, spicy foods and cauliflower may affect your baby and cause unusual fussiness. Finally, keep in mind that most new moms don't lose their baby weight for 10 months to a year.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/504080-recommended-daily-calorie-intake-for-breastfeeding-women/#ixzz2HQhuSy00
RutterMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM

You might want to check, but it sounds pretty normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)