Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

1 year old with high fever?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 16 month daughter has had a fever of 103 all day today. Advil was bringing it down then stopped working so we started alternating with Tylenol and that isn't working at all. We gave her a lukewarm bath and the fever broke for about ten minutes then was back up to 102 and spiked to 103 again shortly after that. She can't take any more medicine until 1am and the fever is holding steady at 102.6 now. I'm really worried, she has never had a fever like this. She has a doctor's appointment tomorrow but I'm really wondering if I should maybe take her to the ER tonight, especially since the medication stopped helping. Has anyone been through this before? I don't know what to do and I'm paniking a little bit.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
2 moms liked this
First relax. Worry about the symptoms, not the fever. Fevers are good, they mean her immune system is working.

Is she breathing o.k.? Is she lethargic? Is she getting dehydrated? Is your mommy gut saying something is really wrong?

If not, I would wait untill tommorow.
The only an ER visit is going to get you is another virus.
What you can do is call your doctors emergency line if your worried and see what they say. Room temp baths, make sure she's wearing thin cloths, a cool compress on her head.

My DS has always ran a high temp when he's sick. It takes him getting to 102.5 to even act sick. His normal sick temp is 103+.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Call the doctor on call or if your insurance has a nurse on call, you can call that. I agree that I am wary of the ER- too much illness there. Please let us know what you decide. I hope she feels better soon.

saucymama519
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM

She has been lethargic off and on today and has a pretty nasty cough. Her brothers have been showing sigs of strep throat and are being seen tomorrow as well. She has a good appetite but doesn't want to drink anything but orange juice so I have been giving her popcicles and well, orange juice, to help keep her hydrated (we've tried water and pedialyte but she doesn't want it). I really hate taking them to the ER and my husband and I decided unless it spikes above 104 we won't take her in. I wouldn't be so worried if the medicine would keep it down some. It's high enough she has the chills (I think, anyways. She has goosebumps and keeps saying "cold") and won't go to sleep but I can't give her anything else until 1am. It's not even 11 here yet and her temp is holding at 102 even after a lukewarm bath. I know fevers are a good sign but she always worries me with them. She had febral seizures as a baby and it scares the crap out of me every time her fever goes above 102, now.

dawnylou56897
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I would take her to the ER,  She may have an ear infection, of which would get worse.  Aslo flu is goin around bad.  There have actually been some well, deaths.  that fever is way too high.   Cool bath cool cloths on back and head.  however you do not want to give a chill.  in ER definatly I hope u got her in.  she can't wait.  That is too high for a little one.  My prayers....

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM

hope she's ok  *HUGS*

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM
If she's acting normally relax.

If not, consider urgent care or a call to your ped.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof6nokc
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM

It's probably too late but I would NOT take her to the ER. 

That temperature isn't considered "high". 

And fevers are a sign that the body is doing it's job.

The only thing the ER is going to do for you is give your kid another virus  :o(

**Just call me Stuart**

athompson2189
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

High fever can cause brain damage with little ones. even calling a dr. they will tell you to bring her in to their office or they will send you to the ER if they are booked....good luck. hope she gets well.....high FEVER with a 1 year old is a very big deal.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
103 isn't high for a 1 yo. An adult, yes. May be the flu.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Fever's fight illness, stop giving meds for the fever, and treat the symptoms. Is she fussy? Listless? Eyes look okay? Throwing up? 
Hydrate her the best you can.
Rub lavender oil on her, it will calm her and help her sleep.

If your doc has an emergency line, call it and ask if you can bring them in if the fever doesn't go down soon.

But I would NOT recommend going to the ER for a fever.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN