Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What to do?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

So, my 13 month old son doesn't sleep through the night unless I put him to bed by rocking, singingnr anything of that nurture. What do u think I should do to aid to help aid him in doing this himself? I love putting him to sleep but I don't want him being 2 years old and me still putting him to sleep. 

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Idk I still co sleep with my 15 month old, imo they are only little once. Soon they won't want anything to do with me. My three year old is very independent but still wants mommy or daddy to lay with her for awhile at bed time and she was sleeping through the night at 6-7 months old. I hope you find something that works for you just know your not alone! Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
connorsmom2009
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM

BUMP!

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

My feelings are enjoy the closeness while you have it. I don't think I'd stop rocking the child to sleep unless you want to. 

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM

yaa, i agree with barb.  enjoy it!! thats one thing i wish i did longer with my daughter. 

itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Try starting small, like nap time. You can also try putting him down earlier then you usually do and let him lay in his bed with you next to him in chair or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aubreys_mommie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

the best way is cio. alot of ppl think its harsh. but it really isnt. the baby cries to get your attention.. and even at that young of an age.. realizes and understands that you will come right in.. well when you utilize the cio method.. they soon realize that crying wont make you come back in, and it is time to sleep.. having a bedtime routine makes it an easier transition for older babies.. but do this when YOU are ready as well.. good luck! 

Aubreys_mommie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

BUMP!

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It's best NOT to rock a baby to sleep to start with. Always rock your baby!  It's an important bonding time between you and your little one.  But stop rocking when your baby is very sleepy and nearly asleep, then put him to bed and allow him to fall asleep on his own.  Keep that in mind for your next child.

For now, you'll have to go through the steps of sleep training.  You'll have to do it ALL THE TIME, even if he wakes up in the middle of the night. It takes a couple of months, but then your child should be able to put himself to sleep any time he wakes up.

Put your child to bed before he is asleep.  Stay by his crib until he is sleeping. If he stands up, quietly and patiently lay him back down.  You may have to rub or pat his back.  You will have to stay right beside him.  It may take 20 minutes or several hours, but you may not leave his room until he is sleeping.  Do this every night for two weeks or so.

If he's starting to fall asleep in about 20 minutes following the above procedure, then continue, but do not touch him.  If he stands, lay him down.  Pat his back a few minutes, but then remove your hand.  Stay beside his crib until he is sound asleep. Do this for another two weeks or so.

Now he should be able to fall asleep in his crib without you touching him, in about 20 minutes.  Now, when you lay him down, you can move a chair about a foot away, and stay in his line of sight for about two weeks... until he's falling asleep without you touching him...

Each week, move your chair a foot further away from the crib, following the same procedure.

After a couple of months, your chair will practically be out in the hallways, and you will have completed "sleep training". 

Know that even after going through this, there will be a few times when your child has difficulting sleeping.  He may be cutting a tooth or coming down with an ear infection.  He may have had a quiet, boring day and not enough physical exercise, so that he's too wiggly to fall asleep, but these should be the exception, not the rule.

For healthy sleep, in the future, make sure your child has plenty of fresh air and outside play time EVERY DAY.  Spending too much time inside with artificial lighting can affect his circadium rhythms, throwing off his sleep schedule.

meljonah18
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Everyone told me to let them cry it out. I just couldn't do that- despite all the "research".  Unfortunately, I had a five year old that still fell asleep in my arms or on the couch with me and slept in my bed half the time.  She grew out of it when I got remarried and my romantic life was at a point where a five year old in the bed just wouldn't work (lol).  But I wish I would have put up with the crying and let her cry it out like the "research' said because it was a huge pain the butt.  

My advice- just do it.  That being said (I couldn't do it myself)- I also used one of those vibrating chairs which helped sometimes.    Just a thought.

eoewan
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I say, cherish this time. He loves the comfort and safety you give by being cuddled to sleep. Before you know it this time will pass and you'll long for it again. So, you take 15 minutes out of your evening, or how ever long, to love up your baby and give him what he requires. You are doing great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)