Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

mom with a new born baby and 2 and a half years old child no longer listens. Help!!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 7 Replies

I don't know what to do ever since we have a new born. My elder daughter refuses to sleep. Everynight always ends in tears because I had to mete out my punishment after warning her 3 times that if she don't sleep, she will have to get out of the room.

I am at my loss, because she doesn't seems to care about these warnings until I show that I am serious and she will cry and I will feel bad. it's just make me so frustrated. she needs to go to playgroup the next day morning and have to wake up early and yet she refuse to sleep even though she is tired.

I know she need attention, but the baby always feed around the time my elder daughter goes to bed. 

I can't split myself into 2. I am tired and frustrated and this is only 2 weeks. I don't know how I can cope.

I just don't have the patience any more.

Help. What should I do?

any suggestion ???

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
piwife
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
she feels jealous, give her some time to adjust. I have 3 kids. 6,4 and 8 mts . Give her some time to adjust. You need to have patience
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Got cut off anyways establish time just with her. Also a betmie routine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ivf_blessed
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

What did her bedtime routine consist of before the baby and what does it consist of now?

For e.g., my kids might get a bath, but every night is = pjs, brush teeth, visit star chart, story/cuddle time, prayers then lights out. 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

She is adjusting.  I have a 6 year old and 6 week old. I understand.  My husband takes care of bed routine for our older son because I am usually nursing the baby around bed time.  I then go in and talk to the 6 year old for a few minutes and give him a hug/kiss goodnight.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Marimaru
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

If her bedtime always seems to happen at the same time as baby wants to eat, maybe push off bedtime by 30 minutes so that you can feed the baby, and then do your older daughter's bedtime routine.  That's what I do with mine.  My daughter is constantly hearing "Not right now, Valerie needs milk", so I try to do things around the baby eating so that the baby eating doesn't cut into the more routine type stuff (like bedtime).

jackieb2811
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

How old is she? I know it is hard not to feel bad but she knows you will give in so you have to stop or it will get worse. She feels a little jealous right now but it will pass. Just let her stay up until you are done feeding the baby then put her to bed.

Where is dad at? If he is around ask him put her to bed! Or feed the baby unles you are bf.

mommyhh
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. it is getting better. My husband works shift hence my elder daughter has always been used to me putting her to bed.

I have taken things easy and if she is awake , let her be until I settle my feeding and then I can shift my attention fully onto her and put her to bed as i always do.

I guess, we all have to adjust with a new family addition.

I also control my temper and learn to be more patient, watching the super nanny on helping out a family with a new born and 3 young boys really help. Learn some tips about the correct use of time out and it works. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)