Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Poll: Siblings in delivery room while you're giving birth

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let older siblings be in the room while you were delivering a baby?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Maybe, depending on the age of siblings

Other (leave explanation below)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

I'm curious as to what other women think about this topic in general, as something has recently come up. My sister said no freaking way would she let her kids be in the room while she was having a baby. Others have said they've let everyone and their dog in the room (MIL, FIL, SIL, etc...)!

What are your thoughts on having an 11 year old in the room being the support person for the mother? What age do you feel is appropriate for this?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebcarroll
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I am not comfortable with an 11 year old begin a support person, especially if she is the only support person, but if she wants to be there and has a way to leave if she needs to, I can be fine with that. Our kids were there for the last birth, at first, but when I had to going to surgery because I was hemorrhaging they were not there obviously. They were 2.5 and 5 at the time.
StacyO722
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I am having a c-section in July. DD obviously would not be able to be in the room for that. She will be 4 at that point.

Personally, I wouldn't want a child in the delivery room if I were having a vaginal birth either. I would want to be focused on giving birth, not watching over my little child. At 11, I don't know, it would depend on the child and if they could handle it.

hip2it
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Not for me. I was fifteen when my nephew was born and my brother had me stand at the foot of the bed. He was trying to prevent teen pregnancy, though I wasn't even sexually active. My mom was there as well as at least five of his in laws.  Everybody was cheering. It was like a football game.

i get really bitchy in labor and I wouldn't want to traumatized my kid, so I wouldn't have them there. Plus, for me, birth is something shared between parents, a crowd isn't needed. 

January1964
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Good gravy, I wouldn't want my kids to see my snapper with a baby coming out!

Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM
My (then)5 year old was sitting on my Doyle's lap, cheering me on when I pushed out his baby brother. I screamed a couple times and he said, "it's okay if it hurts, Mommy. It's supposed to hurt a little bit." :) he still tells people that he got to see his brother being born! It was an amazingly special and sweet moment. My 10 year old chose to stay out of the room, because it scared him a little. It just depends on the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I'm all for it as long as the child is comfortable with it.I was in the room when my sisters were born (I was 9 and 11) and they were both great experiences for me.I would love for my daughter to be in the room if I have another child (she's 6 now)

SalemWitchChild
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM

My DD was 10 when I was pregnant with DS. I thought about letting her in the room but I ended up having a c/s. I think it would be a good educational and bonding experience. Also a deterrent for teen sex. lol

I had my mother and a family friend (also religious figure) in the room with us with DD's birth.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Wouldn't want my child to see me that way. Birth is a miracle, but it ain't pretty.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I did.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
No. I can see an older child coming in soon after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN