Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What can I do for dd?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 37 Replies

On friday my daughter is going to the pediatrician

While she is normal weight she spits up a lot, she gets the hiccups several times a day, and she is in general extremely fussy. DH and I think she has reflux, what can the pediatrician do for it? What can we do to help her?

I bf, we don't consume much dairy, but we eat a lot of S. Asian foods that a heavily spiced (turmeric, garam masala, lots of chilies)

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LexRi0709
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Change your diet to less spicy foods. The pedi can also give a script for meds for reflux if that's what it is, but I suggest a diet change before meds. jmo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clp0930
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I want to do a diet change but at the same time I really don't want to argue with dh....

proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I dont know about the rest but i do know hiccups are normal in babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aishamusty
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM

To look out for allergies 

Quoting LexRi0709:

Change your diet to less spicy foods. The pedi can also give a script for meds for reflux if that's what it is, but I suggest a diet change before meds. jmo.

DaniandTom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I would say it's your diet! Anything you eat goes directly into your breast milk so the baby is getting all those spices and may just be too sensitive. What's more important--your baby's comfort and digestion or your husband's issues? He can add whatever he wants to his food. He shouldn't be arguing with you about what's best for your baby!!!! 

itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM
That's what I was going to say. Does you baby eat table food yet? Maybe she is eating too much for when she does.

Quoting proudmommy690:

I dont know about the rest but i do know hiccups are normal in babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clp0930
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Were going to go curry free for a week and see if that helps

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Most likely it's your diet.

LindaClement
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Spice has (contrary to a hundred and fifty years of belief-based advice) nothing at all to do with acid reflux (which is probably what your ped will 'diagnose' and prescribe a powerful drug to 'treat' without bothering to do the necessary biopsy to see if it's necessary).

Lots of kids spit up a lot, and hiccoughs are normal in young babies. It probably has nothing at all to do with your diet.

CLEKate
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Spitting up may be a sign that the baby is eating too much at a feeding.  It's also commonly associated with burping in infants.

Gas in infants is typically related to what Mom eats or the type of formula being given.  An easy solution to gas is Mylecon drops given right before feedings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN