Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hourly rate for a babysitter?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 56 Replies

I was wondering what you pay your babysitter per hour.  I asked a friend's 14 year old daughter to watch my 9 year old for a couple hours.  She said yes and that she charges $15 an hour.  That seems really high.  I was wondering what all of you thought.  Thank you.  

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

here it is 5-15 pr hour .  No way in heck would i pay a teenager that much unless she is first aid / cpr cert, has taken child development classes, knows all food safety rules, etc.  especially for a child who is only a few years younger.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Thats alot maybe 8
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM

It really depends where you live. Go onto sittercity or care.com and see what others inh your area are paying.   I live in Ma. i get $20/25 hour

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Good grief that's a lot! I wouldn't pay that. Plus, one 9 year old is a cake walk to babysit.

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I don't have any experience in baby sitter costs, however that seems like a lot. If baby sitters are getting that much, I'm going to start baby sitting, lol.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I can tell you I paid $5 an hour 21 years ago. When I had 2 I paid HS girls around $8. That would have been 12 to 18 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I paid that 12 to 18 years ago for 2 kids.

Quoting strictmomhere:

Thats alot maybe 8

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I paid $5 an hour 21 years ago in North Carolina.

Quoting frndlyfn:

here it is 5-15 pr hour .  No way in heck would i pay a teenager that much unless she is first aid / cpr cert, has taken child development classes, knows all food safety rules, etc.  especially for a child who is only a few years younger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
OP I would say $10 to $12 for one school age child. All school age kids are usually easier. 2 kids $15.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Wow, that is crazy! I make $5 an hour for the little guy I watch. Unless she is staying the night (like if you are having a date late at night) that is crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)