Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Blood Pressure *POIG*

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am currently pregnant with my fourth baby .  I have had two successful VBAC's already and am hoping for my third. 

I have develope high blood pressure with all three of my pregnancies in the second or third trimester, becuase of this I have been induced with both of those pregnancies.  I am hoping to finally go into labor on my own this time.  In order to do this BP has to stay down.  Does anyone have any natural suggestions?  I would like to try and keep it down and be able to have my natural childbirth just once!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LexRi0709
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
No idea. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

High blood pressure caused by pregnancy is called  Preeclampsia.  Preeclampsia can prevent the placenta from receiving enough blood, which can cause your baby to be born very small. It is also one of the leading causes of premature birth, and the complications that can follow, including learning disabilities, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, hearing and vision problems.

In moms-to-be, preeclampsia can cause serious complications that include:

• Stroke
  • Seizure
  • Water in the lungs
  • Heart failure
  • Reversible blindness
  • Bleeding from the liver
  • Bleeding after you've given birth

Preeclampsia can also cause the placenta to suddenly separate from the uterus, which is called placental abruption. This can cause stillbirth.

I include all this information so you will be aware what is at stake here.  I had preeclampsia with both my pregnancies, and was advised AGAINST a 3rd because the chance of stroke increases with each pregnancy.  This was 29 years ago, and there were NO safe anti-hypertensive meds in those days.  To try to manage my preeclampsia, I: slept on my left side;kept my feet elevated above my heart, and  restricted ALL salt (ie-NO canned or premade food, no frozen or dehydrated foods, no restaurant foods, no onions, garlic, potatoes or cruciforous vegtables, no bread, crackers, or pasta...basically, I lived on brown rice, plain chicken, and plain ground beef.  I STILL was hospitalized 5 times during my pregnancy, and then I developed abrupto placenta, hemmoraghed, and had to spend the last 4 weeks on COMPLETE bed rest.   The first time, I started to feel contractions, got up to go to the bathroom, and began to hemmorage again.  Straight to the hospital we went.  The second time, I also developed gestational diabetes.  I was hospitalized ONLY twice, and I was able to deliver normally, but the complete labor was only 3 hours.

If I were you, I would take WHATEVER MEDS they gave me, and thank God things have improved in health care.  If your Dr has never mentioned that there are safe anti-hypertensives, or suggested meds for you, find another dr.  BTW, my bp was 169/100. 

joyfullem
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I thank you for your post and I am sorry you had such horrible experiences.  I developed Pre-E with my first pregnancie and had an emergency Csection when my BP went 210/190 but luckily we were at the hospital when it was discovered. 

Pre eclampsia typically is accompanied with other symptoms besides blood pressure the most common is protien in the urine.  With my second pregnancy my blood pressure was elevated the last couple of weeks but not super high and no protien.  With my third it was up enough to be put on bedrest.

I had three different doctors and have never been put on medication for it.  The shy away from doing that because the long term effects on baby are often unknown. 

None of my doctors have ever suggested I do not have any more kids and all my babies have been perfectly healthy and I have had no other complications other than what is listed above. 

It sounds like you developed Eclamsia as if you progressed past the pre-eclampsia stage.

There are two reasons for high blood pressure Pre-Eclampsia which I developed the first time and pregnancy induced hypertension which I developed the second two times.

Thank you for your reply

Quoting sabrtooth1:

High blood pressure caused by pregnancy is called  Preeclampsia.  Preeclampsia can prevent the placenta from receiving enough blood, which can cause your baby to be born very small. It is also one of the leading causes of premature birth, and the complications that can follow, including learning disabilities, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, hearing and vision problems.

In moms-to-be, preeclampsia can cause serious complications that include:

• Stroke
  • Seizure
  • Water in the lungs
  • Heart failure
  • Reversible blindness
  • Bleeding from the liver
  • Bleeding after you've given birth

Preeclampsia can also cause the placenta to suddenly separate from the uterus, which is called placental abruption. This can cause stillbirth.

I include all this information so you will be aware what is at stake here.  I had preeclampsia with both my pregnancies, and was advised AGAINST a 3rd because the chance of stroke increases with each pregnancy.  This was 29 years ago, and there were NO safe anti-hypertensive meds in those days.  To try to manage my preeclampsia, I: slept on my left side;kept my feet elevated above my heart, and  restricted ALL salt (ie-NO canned or premade food, no frozen or dehydrated foods, no restaurant foods, no onions, garlic, potatoes or cruciforous vegtables, no bread, crackers, or pasta...basically, I lived on brown rice, plain chicken, and plain ground beef.  I STILL was hospitalized 5 times during my pregnancy, and then I developed abrupto placenta, hemmoraghed, and had to spend the last 4 weeks on COMPLETE bed rest.   The first time, I started to feel contractions, got up to go to the bathroom, and began to hemmorage again.  Straight to the hospital we went.  The second time, I also developed gestational diabetes.  I was hospitalized ONLY twice, and I was able to deliver normally, but the complete labor was only 3 hours.

If I were you, I would take WHATEVER MEDS they gave me, and thank God things have improved in health care.  If your Dr has never mentioned that there are safe anti-hypertensives, or suggested meds for you, find another dr.  BTW, my bp was 169/100. 

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I live in the Chicago area, and am a dental hygienist.  Here, I see with my patients, who are with all different Ob-Gynes, that the trend IS to medicate.  And NOT to induce.  I wasn't induced with either of mine, altho my bp didn't get as high as yours.  If your bp didn't start to skyrocket, and you weren't developing proteinuria with your 2nd & 3rd, why did they decided to induce??  I can't think of another reason. 

In any event, you can try the diet I've outlined above.  Bed rest doesn't seem like it would be feasible given the number of your children, but you should try to lay on your left side when you lay down, and elevate your feet when you sit.  I worked up till I was put on bed rest, and I had folded up towels on trashcans, to prop up my feet.  And with my humungous belly, I was a sight indeed.  Good Luck.

joyfullem
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM

They induced so that my blood pressure would go down, which with both pregnancy induced hypertension and pre eclampsia it goes down when baby is born.  I was induced at 39w5d with number two and 38w2d with number three.  The only cure for either is labor and delivery. 

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I live in the Chicago area, and am a dental hygienist.  Here, I see with my patients, who are with all different Ob-Gynes, that the trend IS to medicate.  And NOT to induce.  I wasn't induced with either of mine, altho my bp didn't get as high as yours.  If your bp didn't start to skyrocket, and you weren't developing proteinuria with your 2nd & 3rd, why did they decided to induce??  I can't think of another reason. 

In any event, you can try the diet I've outlined above.  Bed rest doesn't seem like it would be feasible given the number of your children, but you should try to lay on your left side when you lay down, and elevate your feet when you sit.  I worked up till I was put on bed rest, and I had folded up towels on trashcans, to prop up my feet.  And with my humungous belly, I was a sight indeed.  Good Luck.

djsmom1
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM

well i have high bp i take medication for and im hope to have one more childin a year or so. just watch your caffiene in take and sodium in take keep it very low and maybe you can put off getting high bp good luck.

Beth3721
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

See a chiropractor.  I had pregnancy induced hypertension and continued with HBP for 3 years.  Three visits to the chiro and it was down to normal.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
This is not intended to offend you at all but is this baby's father the same as the rest? I surprisingly learned that the father has a lot to do with high blood pressure during pregnancy. As you mentioned earlier, the only cure is delivery and I am not aware of any prevention methods. I had high bp with my dd (not much higher than 150/90) and immediately after birth it was 100/60. It's amazing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IntactivistMama
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Reducing salt intake/stress?

wouldn't go near a chiropractor if you paid me to, btw.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gizmo538
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

My OB/GYN put me on a no sugar, no flour diet that brought my BP down a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)