Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Got my kid vaccinated and now she has hives.*Update*

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 14 Replies

So let me start this off with I had to move her up in diapers the same day I took her to get her vaccines. Which is the only reason I haven't been to the ER already. I've also called Tel-A-Nurse from my hospital and explained the situation.

But I went back to her old diapers imediately, gave her some benedryll that was prescribed to her from a sinus infection back in December and they're not gettin better. This has been since Monday. 

The problem is I don't wanna be "that" first time mom who freaks out at the littlest thing. 

I know you're probably not medically trained, but I'm asking your opinion as a mom, would you take her in today?

*Got a refferal to an Urgent care center instead of taking her to the ER. I was freaking out. Thank God! But I feel much better. They said as it could just be viral and that she's fine. Thank you ladies so much for your input and advice. I appreciate it. :) Hope y'all have a great day.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I would just to make sure with the doctor that one or the other is the cause.  Did you switch brands when you went up a size?

TinDoll
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

No. that's what comfused me. She's not lethargic. Doesn't have a fever. Still eating well and acting herself, if a bit clingy. But other than the marks she's fine. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would just to make sure with the doctor that one or the other is the cause.  Did you switch brands when you went up a size?

KayDziedzic
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Hives are a fairly common side effects from some vaccines and will usually go away on their own in a few days without medical attention (according to our doctor).

Are you considering taking her to a doctor's office, or to the ER? If it's the doctor's office, and it's her first time having a reaction to vaccines, take her in for a sick visit. I personally wouldn't take her in to the ER unless she's vomiting, having trouble breathing, seizing, or becomes unresponsive.

Good luck, I hope your LO is feeling better soon!

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
The ER isnt gonna do much take her to her pedi
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinDoll
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Ok this is what the tel-A-nurse said. LOL So I am just freaking out?

Quoting KayDziedzic:

Hives are a fairly common side effects from some vaccines and will usually go away on their own in a few days without medical attention (according to our doctor).

Are you considering taking her to a doctor's office, or to the ER? If it's the doctor's office, and it's her first time having a reaction to vaccines, take her in for a sick visit. I personally wouldn't take her in to the ER unless she's vomiting, having trouble breathing, seizing, or becomes unresponsive.

TinDoll
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM

She doesn't have her own pedi. We're military. So I'd take her to the ER and they'd treat her there.

Quoting strictmomhere:

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Oh that stinks ERs are full of germs yuck

Quoting TinDoll:

She doesn't have her own pedi. We're military. So I'd take her to the ER and they'd treat her there.

Quoting strictmomhere:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinDoll
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Yeah I know :/

KayDziedzic
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Probably, lol. Honestly, though, doctors and ER staff alike are used to new parents bringing their LOs in. So you'd be a typical new mom, not an exceptionally paranoid one :) Taking our kids in for what tur out to be little things is how we as parents learn what's 'normal' and what's serious. IMO, you should call the ER and speak to a nurse there (unless that's what a tel-a-nurse is, I'm not familiar); tell them your daughter has had hives since receiving her vaccines; and ask what symptoms to watch for her that would warrant bringing her in. It will give you some peace of mind, and you'll know specifically what to look for should your daughter have a more serious reaction.

Quoting TinDoll:

Quoting KayDziedzic:

TinDoll
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Yeah that's what Tel-A-Nurse is: I talked to an RN at the hospital and she said the same thing. I'm just worried and  feel like if I'm this worried then maybe I should. But like a pp said, ER's suck. That niggling doubt is still there of "what is something really is wrong and she's just taking it like a trooper?"

Quoting KayDziedzic:

Probably, lol. Honestly, though, doctors and ER staff alike are used to new parents bringing their LOs in. So you'd be a typical new mom, not an exceptionally paranoid one :) Taking our kids in for what tur out to be little things is how we as parents learn what's 'normal' and what's serious. IMO, you should call the ER and speak to a nurse there (unless that's what a tel-a-nurse is, I'm not familiar); tell them your daughter has had hives since receiving her vaccines; and ask what symptoms to watch for her that would warrant bringing her in. It will give you some peace of mind, and you'll know specifically what to look for should your daughter have a more serious reaction.

Quoting TinDoll:

Quoting KayDziedzic:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN