Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

15 month old not sleeping through the night

Hi my son is almost 15 months old(he was premature so adjusted 13 months) and still does not sleep through the night. He wakes up usually twice and drinks 4-6 oz of formula each time. It is becoming a problem lately because i work in the evenings and lately because of being shorthanded and sick calls i have been working until midnight or later. My boyfriend works construction and has to get up very early and is not happy about getting up to feed him before i get home. He knows it is part of being a dad but it makes him way too tired the next day. Any suggestions on how to get my son to sleep through the night
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
garrettleesmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
He is small for his age he was 2 months premature and after 4-6 oz he pushes the bottle away

Quoting atlmom2:

My oldest dd was having 8 oz of formula at once at 2 months old and sleeping 9 hours straight. She slept 6 hours first night home. Still on formula at 13 months?? 4 oz is more for a newborn. My youngest worked up to 6 oz at a feeding around 4 months. She had reflux. She didn't sleep through the night till 5 months and I thought it was terrible because I was spoiled with my first.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM
My youngest was tiny too but still worked up to solids and nearly all table food by a year. She is 19 now, 4 ft 10 and 92 lbs.

Quoting garrettleesmom:

He is small for his age he was 2 months premature and after 4-6 oz he pushes the bottle away

Quoting atlmom2:

My oldest dd was having 8 oz of formula at once at 2 months old and sleeping 9 hours straight. She slept 6 hours first night home. Still on formula at 13 months?? 4 oz is more for a newborn. My youngest worked up to 6 oz at a feeding around 4 months. She had reflux. She didn't sleep through the night till 5 months and I thought it was terrible because I was spoiled with my first.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
garrettleesmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Wow really who are you to say we should not have a baby i am just trying to get advice that is what this forum is for

Quoting BraeBaysMom:

Good luck! My oldest is 3 in a half n still wakes during the night. Its parenthood. Not tryin to sound rude its just the truth but if ur bf cant handle being tired n going to work prolly wasnt a good idea having a baby.
garrettleesmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM
He does eat what we eat he just has bottles to go to sleep and when he wakes up at night

Quoting atlmom2:

They should eating most table foods you eat at that age.
garrettleesmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Because he is premature and still small his dr told me to keep him on formula a little longer we have an appt this month and he will reevaluate

Quoting stepconfused182:

Is there a reason you're still giving him formula at 15 months? He should be weaned off the bottle at this point as well. Maybe work on weaning from the bottle first and then working on the sleeping through the night. A lot of kids don't sleep through the night for years! Mine started sleeping through the night when I night weaned her from the breast around 13 months. This works for some, doesn't for some. Have you let him cry for 2 or 3 mins before you go get him at night? Sometimes my dd will cry for a minute or 2 at night and if I don't go to her, she soothes herself back to sleep. Good luck, I know how hard lack of sleep is!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Maybe switch to sippy cups. I did around 13 months.

Quoting garrettleesmom:

He does eat what we eat he just has bottles to go to sleep and when he wakes up at night

Quoting atlmom2:

They should eating most table foods you eat at that age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
garrettleesmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM
And i do wait a little bit when i hear him fuss he fusses off and on through the night i wait till he really starts crying

Quoting garrettleesmom:

Because he is premature and still small his dr told me to keep him on formula a little longer we have an appt this month and he will reevaluate

Quoting stepconfused182:

Is there a reason you're still giving him formula at 15 months? He should be weaned off the bottle at this point as well. Maybe work on weaning from the bottle first and then working on the sleeping through the night. A lot of kids don't sleep through the night for years! Mine started sleeping through the night when I night weaned her from the breast around 13 months. This works for some, doesn't for some. Have you let him cry for 2 or 3 mins before you go get him at night? Sometimes my dd will cry for a minute or 2 at night and if I don't go to her, she soothes herself back to sleep. Good luck, I know how hard lack of sleep is!

BraeBaysMom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Lol did u read my comment correctly? Kids waking up through out the night is not something to get mad about!!! I said MAYBE UR BF SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT A LIL HARDER BOUT HAVIN KIDS IF IT WAS/IS MAKING HIM MAD. LIKE I SAID ITS PARENTHOOD, SOME KIDS JUST WAKE UP DURING THE NIGHT N THERES SOMETIMES JUST NOTHI.G U CAN DO.

Quoting garrettleesmom:

Wow really who are you to say we should not have a baby i am just trying to get advice that is what this forum is for

Quoting BraeBaysMom:

Good luck! My oldest is 3 in a half n still wakes during the night. Its parenthood. Not tryin to sound rude its just the truth but if ur bf cant handle being tired n going to work prolly wasnt a good idea having a baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
garrettleesmom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I read your comment correctly. I understand that getting up through the night is part of being a parent, several people have said he should be sleeping through thenight by now. I have no issue getting up. My boyfriend works a very physical job and needs sleep. I was just looking for suggestions, not your opinion on if we thought about having a child before we had one.

Quoting BraeBaysMom:

Lol did u read my comment correctly? Kids waking up through out the night is not something to get mad about!!! I said MAYBE UR BF SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT A LIL HARDER BOUT HAVIN KIDS IF IT WAS/IS MAKING HIM MAD. LIKE I SAID ITS PARENTHOOD, SOME KIDS JUST WAKE UP DURING THE NIGHT N THERES SOMETIMES JUST NOTHI.G U CAN DO.

Quoting garrettleesmom:

Quoting BraeBaysMom:

Ape.ci2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

My son is now 1yr old and still doesn't sleep through the night.  He will wake up every 2 to 4 hrs a night.  I've tried every thing that you can think of.  I'm not a big fan of CIO, but I have tried it.  I'm desperate!  Another method that I've tried is laying him down on his crib when he's just about to fall asleep.  But he's like a little spring! As soon as he wakes up he sits up and starts crying....and onces he's done CIO.  He stays awake.  I'm emotionally tired and physically tired too.  Please someone with any helpful advice let me know.  "Yawn" I'm soo behind sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN