Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

15 month old not sleeping through the night

Hi my son is almost 15 months old(he was premature so adjusted 13 months) and still does not sleep through the night. He wakes up usually twice and drinks 4-6 oz of formula each time. It is becoming a problem lately because i work in the evenings and lately because of being shorthanded and sick calls i have been working until midnight or later. My boyfriend works construction and has to get up very early and is not happy about getting up to feed him before i get home. He knows it is part of being a dad but it makes him way too tired the next day. Any suggestions on how to get my son to sleep through the night
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
mommy2annaliese
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM
My 16 month old doesn't sleep through the night yet either. Wakes often. Some babies just aren't great sleepers. My pedi told me it was okay to give her 1 half teaspoon of children's benedryl for sleep as needed cause of terrible allergies, but I don't. Only on days where she hasn't slept much at all or napped so its effecting her and her happiness and ability to do stuff. I swear she has baby insomnia. Anyway when I have given it to her she will sleep from 8pm-8am and wake up fully rested and happy, and sleep good the next few days.Wakes only ones for her sippy cup which she grabs herself from the side of the bed. When she is old enough if she's still having this issue we will try melatonin. Maybe talk to your doctor about it? It's all natural and effective.. Just ask your pedi first. At this point it's habit (she's comforted by the bottle) or she's really hungry at night an just needs the feedings. Your pedi can help you determine which ones. Try getting her on the sippy cup so it's not a comfort thing as much anymore and feed her something like rice or oatmeal as much as she wants before bed. Something that's filling and sticks. Make sure she have a same every night Bedtime routine like dinner, bath then story an bed or something.
garrettleesmom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Tried oatmeal before bed, we will see how it works
RutterMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I'm not sure, but it could be a phase.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Your ped told you it was ok to medicate your child with Benadryl so she would go to sleep?? Wow! I've heard it all now. I'd be getting a new dr. I would never ever advise someone to do that. There's nothing abnormal or wrong with a 16 month old who doesn't sleep through the night. It takes years for some kids. 

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

My 16 month old doesn't sleep through the night yet either. Wakes often. Some babies just aren't great sleepers. My pedi told

Me it was okay to give her 1 half

Teaspoon of children's benedryl for sleep as needed and terrible allergies, but I don't. Only on days where she hasn't slept much at all or napped so its effecting her and her happiness and ability to do stuff. I swear she has baby insomnia. Anyway when I have given it to her she will sleep from 8pm-8am and wake up fully rested and happy, and sleep good the next few days.Wakes only ones for her sippy cup which she grabs herself from the side of the bed. When she is old enough if she's still having this issue we will try melatonin. Maybe talk to your doctor about it? It's all natural and effective.. Just ask your pedi first. At this point it's habit (she's comforted by the bottle) or she's really hungry at night an just needs the feedings. Your pedi can help you determine which ones. Try getting her on the sippy cup so it's not a comfort thing as much anymore and feed her something like rice or oatmeal as much as she wants before bed. Something that's filling and sticks. Make sure she have a same every night Bedtime routine like dinner, bath then story an bed or something.

crystalplus1
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM

My son is 19 months old and has just started sleeping all night long. I was worried he would never sleep through the night. I did not do cio, i tried it twice, and its not for me or my son.

Kelpler12
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM

a little bit of solid food helped me but my son still wakes sometimes

I hope you get some sleep!!!

mommy2annaliese
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Like I said she can't sleep because of allergies. When she lays down her eyes water and nose is stuffed up and she scratches all night. Some nights her nose runs like crazy. Previous owners had a dog but we own no pets. We have not found the cause yet. Benedryl relieves her allergies symptoms so she can sleep. When her nose is stuffed up she is miserable! itches so bad that she rips her hair out while scratching. Benedryl was intended for children with allergies, and is not te devil. Benedryl is diphenhydramine which is also the most common adult sleep aide. Aka unisom, Tylenol PM, zquil, etc. it is safe and effective. I'm her mom and I will decided what choices are best for her, and providing her reliefe from severe allergies so she can sleep is fine by me. She's had benedryl 3 times in her whole life. My ped is awesome and I think I'll keep her, but thanks!

Quoting stepconfused182:

Your ped told you it was ok to medicate your child with Benadryl so she would go to sleep?? Wow! I've heard it all now. I'd be getting a new dr. I would never ever advise someone to do that. There's nothing abnormal or wrong with a 16 month old who doesn't sleep through the night. It takes years for some kids. 

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

My 16 month old doesn't sleep through the night yet either. Wakes often. Some babies just aren't great sleepers. My pedi told

Teaspoon of children's benedryl for sleep as needed and terrible allergies, but I don't. Only on days where she hasn't slept much at all or napped so its effecting her and her happiness and ability to do stuff. I swear she has baby insomnia. Anyway when I have given it to her she will sleep from 8pm-8am and wake up fully rested and happy, and sleep good the next few days.Wakes only ones for her sippy cup which she grabs herself from the side of the bed. When she is old enough if she's still having this issue we will try melatonin. Maybe talk to your doctor about it? It's all natural and effective.. Just ask your pedi first. At this point it's habit (she's comforted by the bottle) or she's really hungry at night an just needs the feedings. Your pedi can help you determine which ones. Try getting her on the sippy cup so it's not a comfort thing as much anymore and feed her something like rice or oatmeal as much as she wants before bed. Something that's filling and sticks. Make sure she have a same every night Bedtime routine like dinner, bath then story an bed or something.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM

My suggestion is to not feed formula at night. give a drink of water.

My son at this age would sit upin the night and play a bit in the crib, then he'd lie back down and sleep some more. I didn't need to bring him drinks. I didn't even know he was doing this until we visited my grandma and the crib was in the same room.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Your post said it was ok to give her Benadryl for sleep as needed and for terrible allergies. Not that the sleep was dependent on the allergies. And I am a doctor and am aware of what Benadryl is. I would never in a million years suggest giving a toddler Benadryl as a sleep aid and that is what your post sounded like it was suggesting. Nothing to get all worked up over.

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

Like I said she can't sleep because of allergies. When she lays down her eyes water and nose is stuffed up and she scratches all night. Some nights her nose runs like crazy. Previous owners had a dog but we own no pets. We have not found the cause yet. Benedryl relieves her allergies symptoms so she can sleep. When her nose is stuffed up she is miserable! itches so bad that she rips her hair out while scratching. Benedryl was intended for children with allergies, and is not te devil. Benedryl is diphenhydramine which is also the most common adult sleep aide. Aka unisom, Tylenol PM, zquil, etc. it is safe and effective. I'm her mom and I will decided what choices are best for her, and providing her reliefe from severe allergies so she can sleep is fine by me. She's had benedryl 3 times in her whole life. My ped is awesome and I think I'll keep her, but thanks!

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

mommy2annaliese
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM
For the last time the reason it's needed for sleep is because she can't sleep from terrible allergies. I was typing my original reply uo fast before bed last night i thought saying "for severe allergies" was clear enough but i guess i didnt word it good enough for you. There i fixed it. My child, my choice. I really don't care what anyone on the Internet wants to say about it. I didn't recommend it for anyone else's child. I said eventually I was hoping to try melatonin instead so maybe it would gentle ease her into sleep despite her allergies. That is what I was reccomening asking about. Not benedryl. But I will continue to give me child benedryl as needed per her doctors orders anytime she can't breathe through her nose or has itchy hives bothering her so bad it's keeping her up at night.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Your post said it was ok to give her Benadryl for sleep as needed and for terrible allergies. Not that the sleep was dependent on the allergies. And I am a doctor and am aware of what Benadryl is. I would never in a million years suggest giving a toddler Benadryl as a sleep aid and that is what your post sounded like it was suggesting. Nothing to get all worked up over.

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN