Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Trichotillomania is driving me nuts!!! (**Update, in purple!!**)

Posted by   + Show Post

Do any of you suffer from Trichotillomania? I've been 'picking' since I was probably 12 or 13 (I'm now 20) Because of it, I have little to no eyebrows left, at times have barely any eyelashes, and now have a 'part' in my hair because of my constant picking.. I was wondering, for those of you who have Trich, how have you overcome the urge to pull/pick?

*Update!*

I had a psychiatry appointment this past Wednesday. I have been officially diagnosed with Trich. My psychiatrist put me on Prozac to help with controlling the compulsions to pick. Has anyone been on Prozac for this reason? If so, how did it work for you? For now, he has me on 10mg and we are going to up the dosage as needed.

T1DMommy92

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
kwerner92
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Thank you, ladies! I'm on the phone with my primary care right now to make an appt to see someone. The other day I found that I have a bald spot on my head.. So, it's definitely time I do something about stopping. As to when it started, I remember that my family and I were in the car, on our way back home to CT from NC. I remember that on my right eyebrow, some of the hairs were sticking up and bothering me, so I pulled them out. And I've been doing that (plus more) ever since.

tossed
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I pick at parts of my skin. There are times that I can go a long time without picking, but then, especially if I am stressed, it drives me crazy. I tried therapy and ocd meds. All that resulted was me feeling drugged. I know that stress triggers episodes for me.

Maevelyn
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I have it and I don't pick that much anymore but I do occasionally. When I was 12 I picked all the hair from behind my ears down out :( It's an anxiety disorder and you need to see some one for it. Your life will be better far beyond the picking and pulling trust me.  

Maevelyn
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM

When I started pulling my parents said the same thing about it being ugly and I was super embarrassed. So I spread my hair pulling out and hid the hair. It's an anxiety thing and tell a little girl that it's going to make her ugly makes her pull out more hair. 

Quoting robbinsroost:

I don't, but I have a friend who suffers from it. You would think she had cancer because her hair is so thin. I don't know that she does anything to help. My oldest DD started pulling her hair last month after she had lice. She told me it felt good when I combed through her hair. She ended up making a small bald patch on her head. DH and I told her and we told her how ugly it was and she was embarrassed by it. She understood that she could control it and I have not seen her pulling in the last couple weeks. Her spot has not gotten larger either, but I have noticed she has started biting her nails.

Motherwannabe12
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I've had some of the same problems since I was in my early teens. I mostly pluck my eyebrows and pimples/scabs. I know that stress is a trigger for me. I try not to think about it and keep busy so I don't have time to do it. My arms are scarred from it and it embarrases me to no end but I still do it...not as much as I did when I was a teenager though. I've never been on meds or seen a therapist for it. My family just shamed me constantly for it growing up, which only made it worse.

achorney
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM

My son does this. 

I try to keep it light, i will tell him his hair called, and it says it hates him.

I also make him wear hats. (he picks the crown, in the back of his hair.) he's 12, it really bothers him he can't stop.

Comes in runs, when he's stressed he does it more. 

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My husband has it, and my daughter started showing signs at a very young age.  We all have long hair, including him, what we do is have brushes ALL over the house and they use strictly for "pulling".  Meaning, those designated brushes don't get cleaned out like our normal use brushes, so when they have the urge to pull, they reach for one of the brushes and pull long strands from there.  Do you wrap after you pull?  They wrap the strands around their fingers then break them.  This was advice from a therapist and has worked pretty well.  Good luck.

soontobe2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM

It's an anxiety disorder, therapy or meds.  That's all you can do.  

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM

My husband is a picker, at least zits/scabs, it drives me NUTS!!!  If he rubs or scratches my back, he picks, he can't stand to see a zit or feel a bump on someone.  He HAS to try to pick it. UGH

He also crunches ice, drives me crazy.

I hope you can get some help to stop.  Good luck, hugs and prayers

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I was never diagnosed. But when I was 12 i pulled alot. I had bald spots. I occassionally pull. I twirl my hair alot too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN