Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hi there !  I am a mom of twins that were born December 7 at 35 weeks, they were preemies.   Both babies were in NICU one for 2 weeks and the other for 3 weeks, everyone is doing well and home now.   I had a C-section and currently we are all sleeping downstairs babies are in a pack and play but usually like to sleep when I hold them.

I want to eventually transition them upstairs I have a pack and play in my room and then eventually to their room were they each have there own crib.  At what age is best to make these transactions ? - also how long should you let your newborn fuss to calm themself, my niece said her dr said only 3 minutes when they are so little.   I have alot of nieces and nephews that I have taken care of as babies but its so different when they are your own :)

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Replies (11-14):
Beth3721
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

They should stay in the same room as you for about a year.  It's recommended and I honestly found it easier to take care of them.  If it was me, I wouldn't let them fuss to calm themselves down.  When they are newborns they usually cry because they need something.  When they get older I can see it.  Of course we can't always get to them right away.

rayroe2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I wouldn't go over 30mins but for a newborn no longer then 15mins. That is when you know they are safe, calm, and have all needs met.

LuLuThatsWho
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I just had twins, too.  They were born on December 18 at 36 weeks.  Very close to yours!

My twins are already in their nursery.  They sleep in the same room but in separate cribs.  I let them fuss for a couple of minutes at the most.  They have developed very few sleeping patterns.  We are still basically flying by the seat of our pants... I never sleep. :(

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Ama2Gunner
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:55 AM

CIO is dangerous. Please do your research about this.

Newborns don't fuss because they want attention. They fuss because they need something. That's their only mode of communication. When you ignore it, even for the slightest moment, then you are telling your child that their needs are less important than yours. When they get older, like 10mo and older, you can start teaching them to wait just a moment while you finish - going potty, stirring dinner, etc. But newborns don't understand that, and they do not have words to tell you they need to smell you, they need the safety of your arms, they need to eat, etc. 

If you would like more information, I can get you some links. 

A good book to buy on sleeping is The No Cry Sleep Solution.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)