Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Convertible Car Seat on a Plane

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM
  • 2 Replies

Does anyone know if the convertible car seats have to face front or back on airplanes?  We are headed to Europe in March with our DD and for some reason I thought I remembered reading somewhere that those types of seats had to face forward, but I can't remember where I read that.  I would rather it face backwards so its easier to keep an eye on her, put a blanket over the seat and her car seat to help her sleep and so that she reclines some and sleeps better (I'm hoping).

I'm ordering a "toddler" meal for her (we're flying Delta).  Can anyone elighten me as to what exactly it could be.  I had a choice between baby, child or toddler and I chose toddler since she will be 21 months then.  The last time we flew to Europe with her she was in her infant seat so she faced backwards.  If she faces forward will we be able to use her tray table for her to eat and/or play on?

Also, we currently use the Safety 1st Complete Air 65 for her.  I'm looking for one that is lighter and less bulky to use on the plane.  Can anyone recommend one?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
busymom64064
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM
You would have to get a car seat that has an FAA Approved sticker (or a sticker stating that it is airline approved) otherwise they won't let you use it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Most car seats are approved to fly. I don't think there are any in the US that aren't.
Just check the sticker.
They might make you front face it, but in an airplane....I don't think front facing/or rear facing matters as long as they are harnessed. Turbulence can come cause their head to go forward or backwards and in a crash....well...at least they were in a car seat.

I commend you for getting your child a seperate seat on the plane! So much safer!!!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured