Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Why would pediatrics refer my baby

Posted by   + Show Post
To a health and human services nurse? I'm so confused ...my son just turned one and he just changed to a large daycare and is getting sick a lot more than when he went to an at home daycare. He was tested and very allergic to dairy and peanuts and has an epi pen ...well 4. He also had an ear infection that wouldnt go away for 2 months. He also has tummy trouble and was getting constipated. Anyway I just got a call from a nurse from health and human services , a state nurse, and she said to tell her about my son. Once I did she said that sounds like that's a lot and she wants to help me come up with a plan to figure out these issues. She said to keep a log of when he has stomach pain and she wants to meet next Friday and she can come over or I can go there. I mean she's really nice but what's this really about? I asked if I was doing something wrong or if I'm in trouble or taking him to the Dr to much and she said no and pediatrics should have told me she'd be calling me and that they referee me. I'm a single mom and don't have a husband to vent to so please help me figure out what's going on??? I also have a 4 yr old and no one from there has ever called.

Update pg 12....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
ktinaza
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Right that's true ...lol I told her to come here.

Quoting aurora.dove:

It sounds to me like they are concerned about him being sick so much and want a long term care plan as opposed to just repeated doctors visits every time something goes wrong. I would make sure when you meet her that it is at a public facility just to make sure in case you are concerned. If you were in trouble they would have called Child Protective Services, not a state nurse.

Megan11587
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Are your kids on state insurance?
ktinaza
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM
He is on state insurance yes

Quoting CLEKate:

Question for you: Are you and or your child under government/state health care?  I can see that they would step up quicker if this is the casee. 

Jadnorton
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I know my son has a state nurse to "help" us navigate his Asthma because he goes to the dr a lot. They actually helped a lot in coordinating appts and making sure info was flowing between the different offices. We only hear from her every 6 months now that we have an action plan.
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

At very least that shows you have nothing to hide! Good luck, hopefully you can get your kiddo feeling better soon!

Quoting ktinaza:

Right that's true ...lol I told her to come here.

Quoting aurora.dove:

It sounds to me like they are concerned about him being sick so much and want a long term care plan as opposed to just repeated doctors visits every time something goes wrong. I would make sure when you meet her that it is at a public facility just to make sure in case you are concerned. If you were in trouble they would have called Child Protective Services, not a state nurse.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

They just want to make sure that everythings okay since he's been getting sick so much, to find out why his stomachs been acting up, to make sure he doesn't have any other allergies, just staying on top of things. They are there to help.

monkeymom1104
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM
You can deny these services. I worked Family Practice and Pediatrics for years, these services are provided by the state. If your not comfortable just pass. Like I said she has people she reports too, not saying anything good or bad but I've seen mountains made out of mole hills.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
that could be why. my son is on healthy families and they referred us to some other state insurance program because of all of his issues so now he has 2 state insurances basically. I was so confused at first as well.

Quoting ktinaza:

He is on state insurance yes

Quoting CLEKate:

Question for you: Are you and or your child under government/state health care?  I can see that they would step up quicker if this is the casee. 

sucker4myloves
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

You told her to come to your house? I'd cancel that and try something else. Your doctor/nurse/office didn't tell you about this. You need to make sure it's legit. A little girl was just kidnapped under the guise of the kidnapper being from social services.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM

it may be because your child is chronically ill. in many states, drs are limited by insurance as to what services they can provide and refer to. they may feel that there may be more than they are allowed to handle and by refering you to a state agency, it allows for that red tape to be cut. i would request your childs full medical records and drs notes and take them to a different dr to go over with you. it will probably give you a much wider view of the issues than just what they tell you. 

for example... my sons pediatritican asks alot of questions every appointment. one day i asked why and was told its just standard. i asked what they were trying to determine... i was told its standard. i pulled his records.... they suspected autism ALMOST 6 MONTHS before actually notifying me and refering him to early intervention

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN