Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Why would pediatrics refer my baby

Posted by   + Show Post
To a health and human services nurse? I'm so confused ...my son just turned one and he just changed to a large daycare and is getting sick a lot more than when he went to an at home daycare. He was tested and very allergic to dairy and peanuts and has an epi pen ...well 4. He also had an ear infection that wouldnt go away for 2 months. He also has tummy trouble and was getting constipated. Anyway I just got a call from a nurse from health and human services , a state nurse, and she said to tell her about my son. Once I did she said that sounds like that's a lot and she wants to help me come up with a plan to figure out these issues. She said to keep a log of when he has stomach pain and she wants to meet next Friday and she can come over or I can go there. I mean she's really nice but what's this really about? I asked if I was doing something wrong or if I'm in trouble or taking him to the Dr to much and she said no and pediatrics should have told me she'd be calling me and that they referee me. I'm a single mom and don't have a husband to vent to so please help me figure out what's going on??? I also have a 4 yr old and no one from there has ever called.

Update pg 12....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Replies (141-150):
ktinaza
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Thank you!

Quoting ericndaimonsmom:

Thankfully I am from a small town that is also the county seat. The state nurse in our county also runs our WIC program, so I know her personally and see her regularly!

I can imagine how stressful that call must have been. But believe me, this nurse will do everything she can to help you and your boy! Best of luck and I hope he gets better soon, dear!
cory.baxley
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Im in california and they just did this for my mom. She thought it was strange when they first called her too. But it was legitmate.
mamabear0791
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I have asthma and allergies, and right after a very bad time, the doctro gave my contact info to a nurse who came to my home and helped me create a health plan, of sorts. It helps me with several things, including when to take meds, when to call for an ambulance, and how to keep triggers from knocking me about. She called it an Allergy Action Plan. It did help me quite a bit....I hope that's what this nurse has planned for your lil guy!

I hope he feels better soon!

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM

This may help you find out if yhou can do something different that might solve the problem.  First, with the daycare, you need to make sure they do not have any peanut products there.  Many places serve peanut butter and jelly or a parent will send it.  That cannot occur as your child could have breathing problems and die if they don't give himthe epi shot in time.  he may be a lot better if you got a grandmother or some neighbor to care for him and not have him at the nursery or have a nursery that controls the food so there is no allergy.  If he is allergic to dairy, they should not be giving him any.  Is there something else he can drink like soy milk?  Can't do almond milk because of the nuts.  I think it is partly the kids being around nuts or just catching things from the larger group.  Is there a way to get him back in his home day care?  This is what she might help you with andmay even talk to the daycare to make them realize the seriousness of this.  Your 4 year old may not have the allergies your other one does.  It is hard to be a single mom.  You just need to make the daycare keep things away that he is allergic to or take him someplace where they will.  You could call the doctor to find out more. I think this is to help you deal with his specific problems and not to whack you over the head. 

supercarp
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

You're not in trouble; they are just trying to figure out what is wrong. Be glad you have this kind of support and don't worry about anything. It's not like you're abusing your children and they're checking on you, so don't worry about that. They just want to see if there is something that everyone might be overlooking.

ktinaza
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM
I make him all his snacks and meals even for daycare everyday. He drinks coconut milk which I provide for him. I looked up every hidden word for dairy and peanuts and do not buy any of it or anything manufactured in a plant with peanuts. The daycare has two epis on hand and benadryl that I supplied them with. They do not serve anything with nuts at all. My son sits in a high chair away from the the other babies so he can't touch their food. They do a good job so at least I feel.safe with that. I'm a big researcher and my kids are #1. I feel like its a lot but I have it under control. But I appreciate help.

Quoting Sweet_Carol_126:

This may help you find out if yhou can do something different that might solve the problem.  First, with the daycare, you need to make sure they do not have any peanut products there.  Many places serve peanut butter and jelly or a parent will send it.  That cannot occur as your child could have breathing problems and die if they don't give himthe epi shot in time.  he may be a lot better if you got a grandmother or some neighbor to care for him and not have him at the nursery or have a nursery that controls the food so there is no allergy.  If he is allergic to dairy, they should not be giving him any.  Is there something else he can drink like soy milk?  Can't do almond milk because of the nuts.  I think it is partly the kids being around nuts or just catching things from the larger group.  Is there a way to get him back in his home day care?  This is what she might help you with andmay even talk to the daycare to make them realize the seriousness of this.  Your 4 year old may not have the allergies your other one does.  It is hard to be a single mom.  You just need to make the daycare keep things away that he is allergic to or take him someplace where they will.  You could call the doctor to find out more. I think this is to help you deal with his specific problems and not to whack you over the head. 

Megzboys
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Quoting CLEKate:

It sounds to me like a good thing.  Another person to help keep an eye on the various issues your kid is having.  Let's face it, he's a sick kid and combine that with the allergies, you are going to need help.  It sounds to me like the county/city/state is stepping up and providing the help you may need.

I agree with this woman.   It is simply due to all of the illnesses he has had and the allergies.   Maybe a friend of yours can go with you to help you ask what you might be afraid to bring up.  Write a list of the questions you have so you don't forget.   Good luck .    Make sure they test his hearing as he grows up, ear infiections, especially very severe ones can cause hearing loss.   I always got them for long periods of time as a child and young teen.  I still get them occasionally and now wear hearing aids.  

I love my boys

boy kissing mom                                        

tree613
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Just now saw this. How is your son doing?

ktinaza
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM
He was put on an acid relux med and it helped so much. The nurse is actually super nice and helpful. Thank you for asking.

Quoting tree613:

tree613
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad it helped and that you have a good nurse! Having a helpful and nice nurse can be such a blessing.

Quoting ktinaza:

He was put on an acid relux med and it helped so much. The nurse is actually super nice and helpful. Thank you for asking.

Quoting tree613:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)