Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Why would pediatrics refer my baby

Posted by   + Show Post
To a health and human services nurse? I'm so confused ...my son just turned one and he just changed to a large daycare and is getting sick a lot more than when he went to an at home daycare. He was tested and very allergic to dairy and peanuts and has an epi pen ...well 4. He also had an ear infection that wouldnt go away for 2 months. He also has tummy trouble and was getting constipated. Anyway I just got a call from a nurse from health and human services , a state nurse, and she said to tell her about my son. Once I did she said that sounds like that's a lot and she wants to help me come up with a plan to figure out these issues. She said to keep a log of when he has stomach pain and she wants to meet next Friday and she can come over or I can go there. I mean she's really nice but what's this really about? I asked if I was doing something wrong or if I'm in trouble or taking him to the Dr to much and she said no and pediatrics should have told me she'd be calling me and that they referee me. I'm a single mom and don't have a husband to vent to so please help me figure out what's going on??? I also have a 4 yr old and no one from there has ever called.

Update pg 12....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
tossed
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I did a quick google. If you are on medicaid, that is the reason. Colorado is one of the states that is advancing medicaid case management in an attempt to reduce costs and higher cost procedures. The pedi does not have time to sit with you and talk through all of these things. There may be conditions like constipation that can be handled by a nurse and don't require a dr visit...I know some can, but most don't. The pedi saw a situation where a child's illnesses took a sudden increase and were not resolving as expected. This is a way to have someone help you and follow your child's progress. 

LittleBirdFly
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM

maybe because he has all theise problems? I dont know. Did you call your pediatrician and ask them? I for one would not give out any informations to anyone just calling like that unannounced.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:55 AM

It sounds like they have some concerns over your sons health issues. It sounds like the things affecting your son are not things he would have picked up in daycare. Chronic or long lasting ear infections can cause speech problems, maybe they're concerned he has more allergies which is causing the stomach pain, maybe they're concerned about the flow of things through his digestive tract. It definitely sounds like they want to have someone keep a eye on your ds to figure things out.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Gonna happen more and more if you use govt medical. I am all for it.

Quoting tossed:

I did a quick google. If you are on medicaid, that is the reason. Colorado is one of the states that is advancing medicaid case management in an attempt to reduce costs and higher cost procedures. The pedi does not have time to sit with you and talk through all of these things. There may be conditions like constipation that can be handled by a nurse and don't require a dr visit...I know some can, but most don't. The pedi saw a situation where a child's illnesses took a sudden increase and were not resolving as expected. This is a way to have someone help you and follow your child's progress. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I would meet with her once and find out if its something you HAVE to do or not and if you dont have to and if its not beneficial for you id tell her you wont be coming back and then switch peds....because none of those issues are related and kids in daycare do get sick more often

mommyecr3
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM

First, I do agree that this is because of state insurance - and that this is a helping thing. I must say that I agree that since they offered you the choice of in-home or at their office that you should do the in-office meeting. Not at your home. This will not make you look suspicious to not want a home visit. Just that you would like to accept the offer of help. Best wishes for your son - and to you.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

You told her to come to your house? I'd cancel that and try something else. Your doctor/nurse/office didn't tell you about this. You need to make sure it's legit. A little girl was just kidnapped under the guise of the kidnapper being from social services.

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM

That does sounds strange. I would call your dr's office and ask why they refered you to her

mom_3.0
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Call the pediatrician for information about who referred you and why. 

ktinaza
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I will be doing this today.

Quoting mom_3.0:

Call the pediatrician for information about who referred you and why. 

ktinaza
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Good point. I'm going to call his Dr and ask what's going on first.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

You told her to come to your house? I'd cancel that and try something else. Your doctor/nurse/office didn't tell you about this. You need to make sure it's legit. A little girl was just kidnapped under the guise of the kidnapper being from social services.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN