Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Did you get an ultrasound at every doctors appointment?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 67 Replies

Hey there! I was just wondering if your doctor gave you ultrasound everytime you had an appointment.. So about once every month? I was just asking because the doctor that I have been going to did, but I just change doctors. My new doctor only gives an ultrasound twice during the whole pregnancy. Is this normal, and do you know if to many ultrasounds can harm the baby? Thank you!:)

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM

its very common to get 1-2 ultrasounds the entire pregnancy.   whether or not it can be harmful is controversial.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM
No way! I had 2 with my first and one with my 2nd. Repeat ultrasounds can be harmful. Not necessary either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Typically it's just 2 for the pregnancy.  One at 11 weeks to check for viability and the one around 20 weeks for gender and measurements.

Pink.Frosting
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I only had 2 during both of my pregnancies.

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I had one every two weeks for the first trimester because I was high risk in the first trimester. After that, once at 19 weeks to determine the gender, and measure growth. After that my next ultrasound was when my water broke to determine the baby's position.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I was having one every two weeks towards the mid term with my second... But I was considered " high risk" .
With my first one( 14 yrs ago ) I had four? Five? The whole pregnancy.
I didn't mind... Always excited to see the babe.

My second never turned toward the the end and I had to have a C section, so I was fine with the ultrasounds, they caught the issue before I went into labor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM

No way-  I don't do any with my pregnancies at all.     I also avoid the Doppler.

Were you high risk?       What were they monitoring?

piwife
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Most doctors only give 1 or 2. I was high risk so I got more. But u.s aren't necessary
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I had three, one in the first trimester because we couldn't find the heartbeat, one at 20 weeks for gender, then one at 41 weeks to measure amniotic fluid since i was overdue. 2 is typically all they do unless it's a high risk pregnancy or some other issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Unless you're high risk there is no need to have them at every appointment. My first I had the one at 20 weeks and another at 38 for pain I was having. With my second we also had two, but the second was bc the doppler couldn't pick up her heart beat. I almost had a heart attack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)