Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

grocery shopping

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 16 Replies
Ive been trying to meal plan for my family of soon to be 7, anyways how often do you grocery shop for a large family? Weekly-biweekly-monthly?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucsch
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I typically buy meat about every 6 weeks (I cook it and freeze it in family size servings for recipes that I make). I shop weekly for other things. I WISH I could only do it biweekly or monthly but am always running out of something. If you shop monthly you will most likely need help to push and pull the carts for such a large family.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

We are only a family of 4, but I shop weekly.  I do stockpiles and large groceries once a month tho.

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM

We have 7 kids...daily. LOL

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM

For our family of 3 my DH does the major shopping once a month. We have stockpiles of shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels, canned vegetable/soups/fruit etc. We got a freezer for Christmas and it was delivered January 4th and DH immediately emptied the freezer above the refrig. We buy other things weekly of bi-weekly like milk, bread or a REALLY good deal.

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM

we have 7 people in our house right now and 4 of them are teens.  We shop at least once a week, only because our income wont allow large shopping at one time.  We have had the 3 xtra people here since August and they will be leaving the end of this month thankfully.

We seem to run out of the staples quicker, so its not uncommon for us to run to the store a couple of times a week to pick something up because the kids will use something up or not tell us we are low on something, or not realize something was suppose to be used for a meal and not for a snack,  and thats just not food supplies either. 

Sit down with everyone who fends for themselves and let them know point blank to either let you know if something is low or out or to go ahead and add it to the list.  They make those grocery list keepers with magnets to stick on the fridge. If someone gets out a bar of soap and sees its the last one or one more left they should write it down on the list, or down to the last roll of TP, and if the shampoo bottle feels light or at least make mention that its low.  We just had a big blowup here about housework, and I wish we had laid down the law 5 months ago about any issue that might arise.  Not sure of your circumstances but you should write anything down that might become an issue at a later date before you go beserk and the blow up comes and sit down and have  a family discussion and let them know what is expected of everyone especially a chore schedule cause cleaning up after 7 people is no walk in the park and you don't want everything falling on your shoulders. Shower/bathroom schedule especially if the kids are older,  Make sure you also have a large calendar in a visible area of the house so they can write down the things they do on a weekly basis cause I hate the last minute "MOM i have a meeting tomorrow morning and noone said anything before or they said it 2 months ago didn't write it down and I forgot about it."

Good luck to you :)

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Weekly theres 6 of us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Weekly for a family of 4.
rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I go every Friday morning for my family of 5. It's easiest for me since we don't have a deep freezer or any extra storage aside from our small kitchen frige.

ktidwell
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM
THANKS EVERYONE.... we actually have 3adults in the house for a few more months... plus a 6,4 and a 7month old and a baby due in august... ..
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM

i only have to shop for my daughter and i...i usually just go every couple of days and get a few things here and there...i cant afford to buy things in bulk. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured