Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think? Because I'm not sure. (Sorry, if it's long)

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:59 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sorry if this is really long..

Okay, my Little One just turned 2 but this all started in late june, he was about 18/19 months when it first happened..

I was at a family member's house swimming when it was time for LO to come home, he was with his dad, who sees him about 2 days out of the week. He was dropped off with me and everything seemed fine, he had just woke up from a nap and he had just ate (so he says). So I got him ready to go swimming with us. Again, everything was fine. I handed him to my Aunt and got in the pool (everything was still fine). She then handed him to me and I held him as I put him into the water.

That's when all hell broke loose! He started SCREAMING, I mean I've never heard him scream like this, my cousin's neighbor came outside to see what was going on! He also clung to me for dear life, I had what looked like claw marks on my neck and shoulder from where he was digging his nails into me. I got him to calm down but he still clung to me and I noticed he was shaking. The water wasn't cold and we were in the sun, I got out immediately after I notice this.

Once out of the water he was still clingy but calmed down soon after. He was acting fine, playing with toys and running around with a cousin about his age and he also had a little something to eat. Once he was acting like he normally does I decided that we would give the pool another try. We didn't even make it to the ladder, he saw me walking towards the pool and freaked out once again. After that I wasn't going to put him through it again so I turned around and walked away from the pool. I got his clothes and was changing him when he started crying and telling me "NO" about taking his swim trunks off. I thought it was weird but kept on taking his trunks off. I would normally say he was tired but they said he had just had a nap. Once I got his clothes on him, I called and ask about this strange behavior. He tells me he was fine with them and that they took him swimming at his brother's house and he got a little whiny but nothing to bad. Once again, so he says! You can't really believe much out of his mouth.

I went back outside after hanging up and LO seemed fine, like nothing had happened. When we got home that night, I put him in his room to play while I started his bath and once he heard that water running, his room is right across from the bathroom, he freaked out. he cried and screamed the whole time while he was in the water and when I got him dressed. He did that every bath time after that day. I of course called and asked if he acted this way with them when it's bath time over there, told me no.

He still to this day cries in the tub, not to bad, but when you lay him down, to wash his hair, is when the screaming starts!

He also, around the time this all began, started waking up at 2:00 am screaming, everynight, always at 2:00 am. Also, when you told him it was time to go to his other house he would cry and say "NO". It was so bad that even when he wasn't going over there and we told him it was time to leave or to get his coat on he would cry and tell us he didn't want to go. We had to tell him time and time again that he wasn't going there to even get him to put his coat on.

He started to settle down and he doesn't put up a fight with the whole leaving thing anymore but he's starting the waking up every night, screaming, thing again.

There was never any marks or anything on him and he acted normal except for bath time, when it was time to leave and the whole waking up every night so I didn't really read to much in to it then. I did keep an eye out for things. However it's starting again and this time I'm just not sure..

So my question is..... Are these signs of anything? The being terrified of water, waking up at the same time every night screaming and not wanting to leave?

They are starting again and if I over looked something last time, I sure don't want to do that again!  Is this normal for kids to do?  Has this happened to anyone else?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:02 AM

I would have him looked at by a ped and possibly a child therapist just to see if they can talk with him and maybe figure out what is causing all the fear.  DD was afraid of baths at that age but loved water otherwise.

EskimoKisses4Me
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Thanks.. I'll definitely be talking to someone about this.. I just didn't piece it all together when it first happened and now that it is again, I feel like I over looked something and that just makes me feel awful..

I forgot to mention before this all happened, he loved the water in fact he would cry when it was time to get out.. So the whole being scared of it was weird..

But thank you again..

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would have him looked at by a ped and possibly a child therapist just to see if they can talk with him and maybe figure out what is causing all the fear.  DD was afraid of baths at that age but loved water otherwise.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:16 AM

It wouldnt hurt to get him checked out just in case it isnt a simple case of having new fears or night terrors. How often does he go to this other house?  Perhaps see if visitation can be revised or discontinued for time being.

Quoting EskimoKisses4Me:

Thanks.. I'll definitely be talking to someone about this.. I just didn't piece it all together when it first happened and now that it is again, I feel like I over looked something and that just makes me feel awful..

I forgot to mention before this all happened, he loved the water in fact he would cry when it was time to get out.. So the whole being scared of it was weird..

But thank you again..

Quoting frndlyfn:

EskimoKisses4Me
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:43 AM

He normally spends two days out of the week there and the rest with me but there has been times where he's with me for two weeks and then goes two days there.. The most he stays there is 3 days..

Quoting frndlyfn:

It wouldnt hurt to get him checked out just in case it isnt a simple case of having new fears or night terrors. How often does he go to this other house?  Perhaps see if visitation can be revised or discontinued for time being.

Quoting EskimoKisses4Me:

But thank you again..

Quoting frndlyfn:

kristiansmommy1
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:48 AM
My son went through a stage at 18m where he was soooo scared of the bathtub and for no reason. It lasted a few weeks and I got one of those blow up duck tubs that goes inside the bath and that helped. He was scared of the pool until he could touch the bottom this past summer. It could be just a phase but go with your gut
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EskimoKisses4Me
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:54 AM

I never thought about getting a seat or one of those blow up things like you got.. Thanks, I think we will try that.. And the going with my gut, I don't really want to get trouble started if there is no need but I'd rather be safe than sorry..

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

My son went through a stage at 18m where he was soooo scared of the bathtub and for no reason. It lasted a few weeks and I got one of those blow up duck tubs that goes inside the bath and that helped. He was scared of the pool until he could touch the bottom this past summer. It could be just a phase but go with your gut

LeetjieJ
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

It could be that he has just become old enough to fear the size & depth of a pool and associates bath/pool with water so fearful of both.

However, from what you describe, I would be suspicious and try something like play therapy to get to the bottom of  it. 18mo/2y is when a lot of insecurities kick in, and when a lot of children do become quite clingy.

As long as he knows you are always there to depend on! As soon as he is old enough, let him know that wherever he is, if he is unhappy/uncomfortable you will always come and get him.

KayDziedzic
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It's probably just phases coinciding- he's at the right age to start being scared of things that never bothered him before, but I agree with other posters to talk to his doctor to be on the safe side.

My first thought was that, during a bath or while playing in the water at his "other" house, he probably got water in his face or up his nose.

If someone at his other house regularly wakes up to go to the bathroom at 2am, gets home from work around 2 am, or a neighbor's dog (at the other house or at yours) starts barking most nights around 2am, that could explain him now being in the habit of waking up around that time every night. Our upstairs neighbor had to work second shift for a few weeks and got home around 3am. He's been back to his regular shift for months, but yDD still wakes up crying around 3am every morning.

Have you asked his father about any of this? Something nonconfrontational, like, "Have you noticed that LO has been afraid of things that never used to bother him for the past few months? I can't figure out why or how to make things seem less scary for him. Any ideas on what might have started this phase or what we can do so he's not so scared?"

tossed
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Is he having night terrors? 

Some kids do develop fear of water in record speed and as another poster suggested, it can be because water got in their face or they went under...even quickly. 

The toys might help or some of the paint in the bath items. We did not use the paints, but it might distract him. Do you use a shower hose to wash his hair? You might switch to a small cup so that a smaller amount of water goes over his head and keep a washcloth around his face to keep the water from getting in his eyes.

Good luck

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

My now 4 almost 5 year old used to like water as a baby, then developed a fear of baths. She used to scream like she was being murdered every time I went to wash her hair. I'm pretty sure at her dad's they must have gotten some soap and water in her face (this started developing around 2 years old) even still she occasionally screams that she doesn't want her hair washed but she is out growing that. She has always liked pools but not baths for a long time. I had to start putting a dry washcloth over her face and having her sit and tilt her head back.

Also your son may be having some problems because it is hard on a kid that age to go back and forth between parents. My ex husband and I divorced when she was about 2 and she had a lot of problems dealing with it. Granted she would go spend every other weekend with him and she'd cry during the exchange both ways. She was always more moody, had sleeping problems and threw a lot of tantrums (granted that is the age for tantrums too) so some of his issues could be the going back and forth. Just a thought. But it also couldn't hurt to talk to a doc either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)