Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iam a grandmother that needs help with 6 month old granddaughter

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:24 AM
  • 17 Replies

I have custody of my 6 mo old grand Daughter.... Her mother got all 4 of her daughter taken because of drugs.... This baby cries all the time. I raised 2 boys and never had to go through this but she is never happy. She cant seem to ever be still its kinda strange because she will constantly move and cry like shes in pain... Does anyone have any advice Iam really upset because I cant seem to help her.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
addyangel
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Is she teething? Colicky? Have you tried switching formulas? Her formula may be causing her gas and to be uncomfortable.

If it's gas, try pumping her legs up and down like she's riding a bicycle. It helps move things along. Tylenol and teething gel for teething.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

how new is she to the situation of you caring for her?  if this is new,she needs time to adjust, and get into a routine...it may take a while, a month or more.  try wearing her in a sling or wrap, if you can....she needs closeness as well..

gypsy30
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this

If your daughter used drugs when she was pregnant (just a suggestion), maybe the baby is having some effects from it?  Six months seems like a long time to still be having a problem with it, but it's possible.  Maybe you could take her to a doctor and talk to him/her about it? They would be able to help you if that's a possibility.  My dd was really collicky after she was born, cried a lot, and her doctor switched her to a formula without iron in it.  She was really gassy and uncomfortable and switching formula solved the problem and made her a happier baby.  Maybe it's just something like that too.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Gas pain from formula. Try a sensative tummy formula.

Maybe baby is having a hard time adjusting.

Effects from the drugs.

Take her to the pedi and get an eval.

Maybe she misses her siblings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM
3 moms liked this

I would invest in a front carrier, They now sell Ergo's at Target (yay!) and they are perfect for little ones that cry all the time, the constant movement, and being next to your heart and hearing you breath. It is the most comfortable for the person wearing it too

. She also might have colic, and she also might miss her mommy if this was recent. 
Did you change her formula?
That also might cause tummy troubles.

If she is eating baby food, I would stop for a while, just give her formula and see if she calms down after a week or two.
That is stressfull, even on a little one.

Good luck  

aarensmommy
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

i would try a different formula, my nephew had to switch to soy cuz he was always crying and it was a screaming in pain cry

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I agree with a different formula.  Her doctor should have suggestions. If a baby has reflux it is painful, too. And teething. 

veganistic
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Have you discussed with Pedi? Maybe it's reflux?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Aw,  could be any number of things. Have you asked her pedi?

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM

She may have been a druggie babie.  If her mother took drugs before she was born, she could have addictions too and have withdrawal.  You need to take her to doctor and tell him about the mother and her drugs and then about the baby's behavior.  I don't know how much she eats.  My son was on a formula and cried all the time if I didn't rock him and doctor increased his formula.  Finally he said, we'll try whole milk and if that doesn't help he goes on soybean formula.  Well he got the whole milk and shut up and was the best baby ever.  I just sterilized the bottles.  My son was 9 lbs at birth so he was a big boy and wasn't getting enough nutirents.  Your little one could be allergic to the formula she takes.  She could be getting gas.  Be sure to burp her often.  But maybe the doctor can hellp with possible formula changes.  Good luck.  I am a grandma and I can't imagine having to take care of a 6 month old again.  i hope she is like my son and when she gets the right thing that she turns out to be a fantastic baby.  I could take him anywhere and he'd play with toys and be quiet.  I had meetings with him along, etc.  He is still a wonderful kid (at 40+)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)