Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep away camp? *edit*

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 77 Replies
At what age would you be comfortable sending your child off to sleep away camp for a week?

Hubby is wanting to send our son but I'm hesitant. My husband went to it when he was little and loved it. I always wanted to but never got to go.
I used to see shows on Disney like "Bug Juice" and wish I could go so bad. Lol

Thanks ladies!
My son will be 6 this summer and hubby wants to send him but ontop if the fact that he has never been away from us that long and the fact that he still has a bit of a bed wetting problem I think it's best we wait to see how things are by next year.
He is very independent and I'm sure he could possibly handle it but I know I'm not ready. Lol
It'll be really good for him once he is 100% ready. I just dont think we are there yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Anybody?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM

7/8 i think would be a good age.  depends on childs maturity though.

Mommy2justone
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I would say 12, I don't know if I would be comfortable before then.

RutterMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Not until 12-14 ish.

blessedwith
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Depends on the length of time.  My friends ran a youth camp for more than 20 years, and they said their experiece showed that kids who did sleep away camp (about 4 days) did markedly better if they waited until after the 4th grade to go.  A LOT fewer got homesick.

MsRkg
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Depends on the maturity of the child. We were going to send him this summer past ( he would have been 7), but we had a change of plans during the summer. I think the 7-8 range is a good time to start. Some camps have those programs where they go away for the week and are back on the weekends, or do three days away, and then come back and 2 local daily day trips.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My sons went with the scouts, but my husband also went along to help the leaders, so I was never the least uneasy about it, except for Camp Icicle when I was afraid of all of them freezing to death.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM
5th grade or older for a week camp. When I was young 1st graders went even. I was 5th grade except for weekend campouts and they started in 1st grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I say around nine or ten.

mama2KiraEthan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

My daughter started sleep away camp when she was 8. My son will be going this year, he is also 8.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)