Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on imune booster

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm paranoid I have a 6.5month old baby and she so far has had a lung infection and an ear infection already.  Currently she is on a 21 day course of an antibiotic to kick the lung thing.  With the flu around what can I do to boost her immune system.  I am breast feeding her at night and on the weekends, and trying to keep her inside, but she has an older brother in school and day care and she is in day care also.  Anything would be helpful thank you

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Breastfeed her more or give her pumped breast milk.  WHy do you not breastfeed her during the day or at least have her get bottled breastmilk?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mommy2justone
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Breastfeed. 
Wash your hands with soap and water often.
Keep other people's hands off of her.
Keep her hands clean, go ahead and wash them with soap and water too! She might think it is fun :)
Take extra Vit C, even if you are already taking it.  

mamoore83
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Ohh I work full time during the day. I started pumping and I was not aware that breast fed babies don't need more formula as they age. Daycare said she needed more and I allowed them to supplement then I got lazy with pumping so now shes mostly formula fed during the day.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Breastfeed her more or give her pumped breast milk.  WHy do you not breastfeed her during the day or at least have her get bottled breastmilk?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Yea I don't let people touch her and I should start washing her hands. Me taking vitamin c should help will it pass to her? And just today I heard that zinc us good to take also.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Breastfeed. 
Wash your hands with soap and water often.
Keep other people's hands off of her.
Keep her hands clean, go ahead and wash them with soap and water too! She might think it is fun :)
Take extra Vit C, even if you are already taking it.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Get her a flu shot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Get the whole family flu shots.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Get her a flu shot.

emmy526
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:18 AM

with her in daycare, there isn't much you're going to be able to do, since other parents tend to bring contagious kids into the place....your best bet is to hire a babysitter at home instead, to limit the amount of exposure to germs, otherwise, her tiny body will be bombarded at daycare, and she'll always be sick.  And that is my experience as well, with a sickly baby.  I took her out of daycare, and stayed home, because the constant illness and the long term damage it can cause was just not worth my baby suffering while i went to work.    I realize that's not an option for everyone, but when  you have a sickly baby, a mom will do just about anything to keep the baby from being ill all the time. Antibiotics actually make the child more susceptible to picking up other germs, and viruses, and can strip the gut of beneficial flora needed to maintain health and a healthy digestive tract.  With the beneficial flora gone, or depleted, the body becomes more susceptible to all illnesses out there, esp in daycare, where germs are rampant.   Good luck. 

mamoore83
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Yeah the whole family had flu shots except her because she was to young, now she is on the antibiotic so I don't want her to get it until she is well.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Get her a flu shot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Yeah the whole family had flu shots except her because she was to young, now she is on the antibiotic so I don't want her to get it until she is well

Quoting Lindalou907:

Get the whole family flu shots.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Get her a flu shot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I wish I could take her out :( at least for the winter but I can't quit and I don't trust anyone with her. She is on a probiotic now because of the antibiotic.

Quoting emmy526:

with her in daycare, there isn't much you're going to be able to do, since other parents tend to bring contagious kids into the place....your best bet is to hire a babysitter at home instead, to limit the amount of exposure to germs, otherwise, her tiny body will be bombarded at daycare, and she'll always be sick.  And that is my experience as well, with a sickly baby.  I took her out of daycare, and stayed home, because the constant illness and the long term damage it can cause was just not worth my baby suffering while i went to work.    I realize that's not an option for everyone, but when  you have a sickly baby, a mom will do just about anything to keep the baby from being ill all the time. Antibiotics actually make the child more susceptible to picking up other germs, and viruses, and can strip the gut of beneficial flora needed to maintain health and a healthy digestive tract.  With the beneficial flora gone, or depleted, the body becomes more susceptible to all illnesses out there, esp in daycare, where germs are rampant.   Good luck. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)